Homemade duck feed? (emergency ration) UPDATE: PLEASE ANSWER I REALLY NEED TO KNOW ASAP

Oh yes worms are a big hit. I buy Salmon an Pea grain free dog food for my dogs and my birds love it it’s not a big piece of kibble so they can swallow easily if larger piece defiently take the hammer to it first.

Perfect, thank you so much for your advice! I will go ahead and try the dog food right now. Does anyone know if wet dog food could be good, like the kind in the can? I think this would be easier for them to get down but I'm not sure that the ingredients line up.

Perfect, thank you so much for your advice! I will go ahead and try the dog food right now. Does anyone know if wet dog food could be good, like the kind in the can? I think this would be easier for them to get down but I'm not sure that the ingredients line up.
Never tried canned with mine but I understand can salmon and tuna would be okay if packed in water but if not rinse real good first. My ducks also love cooked chicken, but so do my chickens. :p

you could just run to the store to get a small bag of feed. or you could get some chicken feed if you have any and mash it with some of the things you listed in your first post, sadly i do not own ducks so this may not work for you, but you could feed them some scrambled egg for a while? also you could probably feede them a few sardines

I am thinking about mixing it with some water and whirling it up in the blender since the pellets are a little large and I wouldn't want them to choke. Worms our mine's favorite as well!!

Or just add water in a dish, and let it sit for a little while.

Duck food (purchased) is mostly grains and protein--just like dog food.
Niacin is mostly found in animal-based foods, which dog food usually includes.

So dog food is probably a good choice for emergency duck food.

Dry dog food likely has more grains, wet dog food likely has a higher amount of meat (not guaranteed, just as a general thing.)

You can also give some bread, oats, rice, cereal--they are a fine source of calories, just not so great on protein, vitamins, minerals. Whole-grain bread and cereals are better than white bread or sugary cereal. Cooked potatoes are fine too.

Egg is a great protein supplement--try scrambling it.

Letting them forage is good.

Never tried canned with mine but I understand can salmon and tuna would be okay if packed in water but if not rinse real good first. My ducks also love cooked chicken, but so do my chickens. :p

They didn't go for the dry dog food so I'm going to try wet. The ingredients are very similar. That is very funny that you feed chicken to you chickens😂

you could just run to the store to get a small bag of feed. or you could get some chicken feed if you have any and mash it with some of the things you listed in your first post, sadly i do not own ducks so this may not work for you, but you could feed them some scrambled egg for a while? also you could probably feede them a few sardines

Sardines!! that's a great idea I forgot I have multiple cans of sardines that I have yet to find a use for.

Or just add water in a dish, and let it sit for a little while.

Duck food (purchased) is mostly grains and protein--just like dog food.
Niacin is mostly found in animal-based foods, which dog food usually includes.

So dog food is probably a good choice for emergency duck food.

Dry dog food likely has more grains, wet dog food likely has a higher amount of meat (not guaranteed, just as a general thing.)

You can also give some bread, oats, rice, cereal--they are a fine source of calories, just not so great on protein, vitamins, minerals. Whole-grain bread and cereals are better than white bread or sugary cereal. Cooked potatoes are fine too.

Egg is a great protein supplement--try scrambling it.

Letting them forage is good.

I boiled 2 eggs for them this morning and they loved it. They didn't like the blended dog food too much so I'm going to try some wet food and also try your trick of getting the dry food a bit damp. Thank you!

After reading this thread, I think your ducks will be fine till their food arrives. What's more, I think they might be spoiled when their food gets there! 😆 Hopefully they'll not be super picky ducks and still eat their food even with all those yummy treats!

Back
Top Bottom