homemade duck feed?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
ive been reading a lot on how commercial chicken feed isn't all that healthy and contains a bunch of so etc. ive been feeding my goose duck and hens flock raiser but now want to make my own feed with a simple recipe.
ive come across this recipe and was useing that or mixing something like it
6 part Black Oil Sunflower (17%P)
6 part Oats (12%P)
6 parts Red Wheat (17%P)

3 part Field Peas (24%P)
3 part cracked Corn (9%P)
3 part whole Flax (34%P)
3 part Alfalfa (17%P)

.5 part Kelp
.125 Oyster shell
.125 DE
.125 Azomite
so would this be fine for ducks too? and does anyone have a recipe for a duck feed mix that doesn't contain a ton of ingredients

I've been researching giving peas (raw) to ducks. Several sources say that it's bad to give (Including Holderread), and other sources recommend it.

Last year I was using a mix that had peas and lentils, and they grew fine on it, and layed eggs fine, they looked and acted healthy, but my hatch rate was WAY down. especially for my geese. I'm not sure if it was the peas and lentils, but the feed was the only thing I can think of that changed from the year before.

If there are any feed experts I'd love to hear some feedback.

I'm working with my local mill this year to formulate my own feed. I have to buy a ton at a time that way, but I go through a lot! I can increase and decrease certain ingredients according to the season, which is nice, and supply my own vitamin packs including a little extra niacin.

Commercial feeds are essentially cereal grains, legumes, vegetables and a heap of additives- some to add shine to feathers- some for yolk colour - other are just extra sources of vitamins and essential nutrients ( including fats and oils that may come from an animals source. ) that are added for the higher requirements than what the grains will provide. A flock that has a large foraging area will get a large proportion of its daily requirement from free ranging but would still need supplementation- especially during the winter months. Making your own feed may be a cheaper option if you are mixing in bulk - but knowing that you have to use it all while still fresh may mean that you run the risk of some of the food being spoilt before it can be used. Ducks are very susceptible to illness from moulds- and the freshest feeds must always be used. Consider that you may not be able to get all the requirements on one place- you use petrol and time purchasing them- then add the time spent to mix the feed. In the long run- purchasing manufactured feeds knowing the company has put alot of time in researching the exact nutritional requirements- as well as exacting the recipe to ensure it can be used as a complete feed, may be the better option. However if you are wanting to produce birds that you can claim are completely organically grown and free from chemicals, mixing your own feed would be a viable option- a long as you know for sure that the products you purchase for the feed are also guaranteed to be chemical free and organic.

I have 3 ducks and 2 geese. They are laying. I make a mix of oats, barly, corn, lentils, flax, chia, sunflower seeds, dried eggs shells ground down,and fruit and veggie scraps. Every now and then I add a little dried kelp and food grade DE. They free range all the time so this is just supplimental. They are very shiney, the right weight, happy and healthy. They find most of their own food just as they do in the wild. The roam half an acre.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom