Homemade duck starter and duck feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by anaiyuk, Mar 9, 2011.

1. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    I am looking for recipes to make homemade duck starter and duck feed.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have no CLUE about ducks, but feel free to look at my BYC page to see what I do for chickens. I do buy organic chick starter 20% protein for my baby chicks until around 6 weeks of age.

3. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Knowing the percentage of protien that ducks need I think you have given great tools for figuring out a formula, thank you!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You are welcome! [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Also with ducks, please remember they require more niacin than chickens and less calcium. The niacin is extremely important for their feet and legs.

I mix my chicken feed except chick starter but the ducks I start on a 50/50 mix of unmedicated chick starter and unmedicated wild game bird and turkey starter. That is what was recommended to me by Holderreads when I purchased my ducklings.

6. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Oh, thank you Cetewin, I was only aware that the protien was a consideration!

7. Baybrio

Baybrio Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Metzer is a waterfowl hatchery. They have a wealth of great information at their website which is Metzerfarms.com or just google Metzer. Under the Care and Management tab they have several pages you might be interested in, including a calculator that helps you calculate feed ratios to obtain the desired protein level.

8. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Thank you! I'll go look!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: