Homemade egg incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Luvroos, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Can anyone suggest the least expensive way to build an incubator with aquariums? I have a 5 and 10 gal tank that I'd like to use and have it set up now but, not real sure it's going to work but I'll try anything at this point.

2. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I've read on here that fish tank bators will work but they are very hard to keep insulated so the temp varies alot. so u have to make the call, do i worry about the swings in temp or let ride. I am a mess when the eggs are in the bator. I am constantly check on them but it turns out right. Good luck.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  4. Erock1234

Erock1234 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    I just made one today out of a old wooden bread box for a few bucks that seems to be showing promise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

used a bread box
    an old 5x7 picture frame
    an old lamp
    a dimmer switch to regulate the heat
    a temp/humidity gage ($5 at walmart)
    bread pan for water

I imagine an old speaker box, cardboard box or whatever would work we'll soon see

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have been thinking about how to make a small home incubator, but out of styrofoam coolers. I can see the problems w/ a fish tank keeping it warm enough, I think if you lined the outside w/ styrofoam sheets, or made a cozy out of an old blanket, leaving a small viewing window. That may solve the biggest part of the heat problem. But that is just brainstorming, not experience.

6. bahamas

bahamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by