Homemade egg turners?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Apr 11, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Anyone have some they'd like to share?

I'm looking at making some with my new wine incubator.

2. gwendalynn28

gwendalynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I bent hardware cloth in half long ways and made a "ramp". I took a dozen cardboard egg carton bottom and cut holes in it and propped it up on the ramp. When I turn eggs all I have to do is pick up the whole dozen in the egg carton and turn it and set it back down on the ramp. That way I can turn a dozen eggs in about 1 second and be able to close the incubator back up quickly! I have a homemade incubator too and hand turning the eggs takes to long. Not to mention the roll around because my floor isn't completely even! This solved the problem for me! I've done pretty well with this method. When lockdown begins, I remove the eggs from the cartons, take out the ramps, and add more water and let the countdown begin!
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if you can see how I did this, but the ramp is under the carton holding the eggs at an angle. I simply reach in three times a day and turn the whole carton. Only takes a second so I don't lose a lot of humidity and heat! Hope this helps! This picture is when I was setting it up for this year's run and getting it tested out to make sure everything ran well before putting eggs into it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by