Homemade enchilada sauce?

Make sure you do your homework before canning enchilada sauce be sure to use a tested recipe. You can always freeze it if you are unsure!
Here is a recipe that I found and I trust this site and the people that post. Check out the rest of the site for great canning recipes and tips. If you are unsure of the safety of a recipe ask these people they will pick it apart and let you know if it can safely be canned! Check out the 4th post down!
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/...25.html?f0c4a4a4fd5dd8b1336d13086eaf08a8CPYVT

The OP is not trying to can the recipe she is looking to make it from scratch from what I can tell. I mentioned Trader Joe's as a store bought canned option
wink.png
But I agree with your home canning tip, I only use approved safe methods/recipes, period!

Last edited:
Make sure you do your homework before canning enchilada sauce be sure to use a tested recipe. You can always freeze it if you are unsure!
Here is a recipe that I found and I trust this site and the people that post. Check out the rest of the site for great canning recipes and tips. If you are unsure of the safety of a recipe ask these people they will pick it apart and let you know if it can safely be canned! Check out the 4th post down!
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/...25.html?f0c4a4a4fd5dd8b1336d13086eaf08a8CPYVT
But its good to know a recipe that can be canned

Your right we never ever used tomato sauce or paste when making enchilada sauce from scratch,In my family it was a sacralige. Tomato sauce was used for the white palate. there are several variations even in my family no two enchilada sauce is the same, it all comes from personal preference and taste, now my dad didnt like oregano, so we never used oregano in our salsa or sauces, dosnt make it right or wrong, just personal preference. So if you like tomato paste or tomato sauce in yours.... well then that could be your taste. I like mole with chocolate some make it sweet I prefer savory.

Back
Top Bottom