Homemade Feed Recipe

Pics
Just something to think about .... I asked because I have two mills.
First, the Country Living mill which was one of the best two hand-cranked mills on the market at the time - over twenty years ago. It is still one of the best but there may be more top notch options now; I haven't looked thoroughly recently.

I've used it twice. It is smooth and obviously well made. It just takes an enormous amount of cranking to get even coarse flour. I bought an electric mill that I actually use.

I kept the hand crank mill because it can be used without electricity so I feel safer. And it is quite cool. If I ever use it again for anything other than letting my grandkids learn how hard it is the mill flour (I don't have grandchildren yet) - I will set up a belt to a bicycle at least. Possibly to a windmill or watermill or some sort of devise to use draft animal power.

Hand cranking to just crack wheat rather than make flour is much easier. You wouldn't need grain ground much finer than cracked for chicken feed.
I have the Mochmill which is amazing. For a SHTF hand crank option, I went with the Grainmaker, I got the small one; it's quite amazing and is Heirloom Quality.

Interesting. I could definitely get some kind of oil press. Could even make sunflower oil from it.
I use the Norwalk Juicer; it is expensive, but what they say about it paying for itself in the first year is true. Ive had mine for twelve years and it's still like brand new. We crack our grain and make homemade peanut butter with it, as well as many other uses.

the country living mill has retained top (or near top) marks over time - it remains one of the best hand crank mills out there. I don't own one - no need, I don't produce significant grains - and because their price has increased significiantly as their reputation grew.

and yes, a bicycle/recumbant modification would make it much more practical in the absence of a water wheel and the power of nature
I bought the Grainmaker; it is the smaller portable one with a hand crank. It is Heirloom Quality.

@U_Stormcrow in this thread we came up with a post-apocalypse feed that is rice, wheat and soybeans with oyster shell and seaweed. If I was to feed this to chicken do I need to cook the rice first? If not, do I feed them white rice or the unpolished husked grain? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom