Homemade feed: what portion of each ingredient

I came across another interesting study comparing oats to corn. This one was an extensive 1969 Danish study. Oats came in "surprisingly" just behind corn in producing total carcass weights and ahead of wheat, sorghum, and barley. In taste tests, oat-fed birds were equal to corn in white meat and ranked slightly higher for dark meat. In this study, all broilers got a 50% corn-based ration and then each different grain tested made up the rest.

To me, this study like most shows the importance of balancing grains. And that the two most extremely different cereal grains, corn and oats, work wonderfully together.

What I do not understand in any of these studies involving oats or barley is that the presence and role of anti-nutritional factors isn't mentioned. Commonly you read that those grains should be limited to 15% of a ration, without added enzymes or soaking/fermentation, to avoid causing loose droppings. But in these academic studies where those grains are ground up and used, there is no mention of that factor. Maybe the warning assumes whole grain feeding, though there is no statement that whole grain creates worse effects. Or maybe academics simply ignore the droppings issue. I find it very puzzling. I ferment my oats so I suppose my interest in that issue is academic. Same for wheat though—you read not to exceed 30% wheat because of similar factors, but these studies commonly seem to ignore that limit and don't mention it. Maybe I am missing the fine print somewhere about added enzymes.

PDF attached. I had to paste the article into Word, so I didn't get all the tables, but did get what I thought were the most important ones, and then had to convert it to a pdf to attach it here. The link to the article is in the pdf.

Attachments

• OATS rival corn for boilers.pdf
    143.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I wasn't asking what ingredients to use I was asking HOW MUCH OF EACH INGREDIENT. Also if I should include anything else in addition to what I already have listed. And besides: If I knew enough about the subject I wouldn't be asking. Did you even READ what I was asking?

Asks for help. Gets help. Answer doesn't reaffirm her misinformed beliefs. Goes on the offensive.

Asks for help. Gets help. Answer doesn't reaffirm her misinformed beliefs. Goes on the offensive.
If I was asking if people agreed to mixing their own feed and wanted to know pros and cons of doing it then that would be one thing. I didn't ask for opinions on whether you agree with what I am doing or not. I asked very specific questions and looking for answers. Everyone has their own way of doing things. What works for one person may not work for another. I know for a fact that we CAN make our own feed and it can be even better than the store bought pellets IF it is done properly so that is what I am trying to find out. I don't need anyone telling me that mixing my own feed is wrong. I want to know how much of each ingredient I should put into the mix AS WELL AS what else I need to ad to the mix to make it healthy for my girls. NOT on the offensive, just clarifying what I was asking. And it was NOT for opinions. The End.

In the interest of learning more about your interesting project, I wonder if you have a draft of your ingredients list?

Another thing I wonder is how loose ingredients like the fine Nutribalancer work with whole grains. Are you going to feed it separately or let it sift to the bottom of the feeder and let the fowl select it?

I like to feed 90% whole grains for maintenance feed and 40-50% when I am saving hatching eggs. Since I am feeding a lot of birds individually in their own cups, I like a pellet, and sometimes dog food with it, for a protein booster and to supply lysine and methionine and other amino acids.

Currently for breeding I am using New Country Organics 23% protein booster pellet, a very high quality pellet with protein from peas and fish meal and with energy from milo.

Recently I got some Bluebonnet/Stride Super Spur, a complete 32% pellet with very high levels of lysine and methionine and vitamins. It is expensive but would only need to be 10% of a grain-based maintenance mix to give me 12% protein and all major nutrients covered. At 30% of the mix it would probably give me the 18% I want for breeding, just have to run the numbers, and I'd still be able to feed as much as 70% whole grain.

Super Spur's first three ingredients are corn gluten meal, dehulled roasted soybean meal, and fish meal. Some or all of those would be deal breakers for some on here, but I like all of them in moderation. Since my mix is 50% oats, 40% of them fermented, that concentrated energy is welcome at a modest level.

If I were feeding layers whole grain, I would be inclined to offer fish meal and Nutriblancer on the side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom