homemade feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flockmarket, Aug 16, 2011.

1. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    so i HATE buying chicken feed, its not sustainable, its expensive, and its mostly genetically modified corn, and soybeans. i let them free range all day, i feed them treats of bugs, kitchen scraps, and seeds. everyday i set out roach traps ( they get about one a day, i also give them black soldier fly larvae, and any occasional bugs i come across). im going to grow comfrey. and i can save all the seeds i get from the garden (watermelon seeds, lemon seeds, bell pepper seeds). i think that should be enough, because thats what would happen in the jungle. also, i can raise mealworms, as well as earth worms. so would the bugs, seeds, greens, and free range be sufficient enough to feed the laying hens?

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    [​IMG]

Try this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4477

In
    order to have laying chickens do their best you need to have a complete and balanced ration for them. Using organic ingredients will eliminate the GMOs from their ration.

Free ranging will probably go a long way toward providing protein, but there are other nutrients they need. Laying hens are using a lot of everything to supply an egg a day and keeping them healthy is paramount if you want to have eggs while not creating sick chickens in the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by