Homemade feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KristaChickenWhisperer, Oct 7, 2008.

1. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Hey fellow chicken lovers!

I am curious...does anyone have a recipe for homemade chicken feed? I had one from the backyard poultry magazine but sadly I lost that issue.

and suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would like this too, thats a great question!

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

All you need is oats, wheat, corn and such and mix it together. Grain is TOO high right now, so we quit mixing ours.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    This site has recipes....

http://www.lionsgrip.com/chickens.html

I got this from botanical.com......
    Sunflower seeds have a high feeding value - the analysis in round figures is 16 per cent albumen and 21 per cent fat. Fed with oats in equal quantities, they make a perfectly balanced ration. Being so rich in oil, they are too stimulating to use alone and should only be used in combination with other feeding stuffs.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi..good question!..i am interested also..thanks

6. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Quote:Thanks for posting the site!

7. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I checked that site out. It has a lot of interesting information. Very helpfull.
    We have been growing more of our own animal feed this year and plan to continue to add stuff.
    This year we grew milo, flax, nijer, sweet corn (we dry the old ears, and strip them in the winter), broom corn and millet. In the winter months our chickens get to have the run of the farm and the winter garden gets fenced in. So we mostly need grain in the winter, since they can forage for everything else themselves.
    I pull weeds for them the rest of the year and give them garden waste and some household left overs.
    We still provide commercial laying crumble and hen scratch, but we don't need to use as much.

If you still want to find that recipe from "Backyard Poultry", you might go and check their site out on line.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    There are a number of recipes floating around on this site, just do a search.

9. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    :)HI all

I've been looking for this info too. I did a search and have been having a really hard time finding the info!

ANy suggestions?

thanks so much!! [​IMG]

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Google will answer all on this one. I think regardless where you live, you will be able to find enough raw ingredients to be able to mix your food. Wether it's cheaper to do so, or not, is the real question.

The hardest thing ot get hold of is the mineral packs you use as the base for your feed. These are species specific and the one I get is called "Chicken Nutri-balancer".

Since we grow small ammounts of grain (this year Rye grain), we do make some of our own feed. The milling/mixing is the hard part. But, if you are only feeding chickens, you can leave the grains unmilled as the gizzard does a good job 'chewing' them.

p.s. Found the company I get mine from. You can phone them to find your local supplier:

http://www.fertrell.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by