homemade feeders by RendonRoo

I second that, Gary!

I can't wait until Friday, when I have time to go make a couple of these! It's so great to learn from everyone's trials!

Have seen these and they work great for a few birds. I have 24 so I use a length of pvc guttering with two end caps to make a trough. I also did a flap over the top made of vinyl siding with a 2x2 at the bottom to make it flare out so that only 2" of the 4" depth was available and to discourage/prevent chooks from perching on it and prevent pooping in it too. I did two, one for water, one for food. They belly up to it 8 at a time to feed sometimes. Remember to make the feed trough bigger than the watering trough. Mine are removable and spill proof and can be removed by my lifting them a half-inch and sliding towards me. No spillage and no waste, ever. I do have to go inside to refill tho. I also have to clean the watering trough at least weekly of feathers and straw, etc..
I would love to see a pic of this if you don't mind.
big_smile.png

Great idea. Would never work for my bunch tho. I have 24 pullets. I use a 3 ft long piece of plastic house guttering with two end caps. It is mounted to be easily removeable, but cannot be tipped over. About 8" from floor to top of troughs. I use same thing for water. I also put a flap of vinyl siding over the top and nailed a 2x2 under the lower edge of that. It is to cause the troughs to have only 2" of their 4" depth exposed. No roosting on edges that way, so no poop in them ever. I change the water out twice a week, never touched the feeder since putting it in. No waste and no spilling food or water. Feeder should be longer than watering trough.
I have 16 rir's and 23 black aust. and sex links and this would be awesome for them but need to see a pic of this because I'm not understanding the board. Mine want to roost on their feeders to! ugh

Awesome! We found some of the "better" kind on eBay and didn't want to spend all the money on just a simple PVC pipe feeder, yet could not figure out how they had a reducer INSIDE the actual straight PVC pipe, and a cut open T piece for them as a tray to eat out of, with a half pipe piece over the opening. EXPENSIVE! So Mr. Chick fiddled around with various pipes and came up with a homemade version of a pipe within a pipe too, but not as simple as yours! Thanks for the idea as I'm sure we will use YOUR design for simplicity now!
Just need to figure out something for my duckies too soon, since they would probably make a mess in the feed opening so I have to find another solution for that...
barnie.gif

Hi new member here and new chicken owner. Working on my first coop and I plan to automate the food and water as much as possible due to my already daunting list of chores. My question pertains to the PVC feeders. I have read most of this thread maybe a couple times but do not recall anyone trying a reservoir of food attached to the top of the PVC.

I would like to cut a 4" hole in the bottom of a bucket and attach a 4" PVC to it, making the food supply that can be held much larger. Maybe even a larger reservoir of food if I can. Has anyone tried this? Do you think the weight of the food would push it out? I am a trial and error kind of guy so I guess I am going to find out myself but I am wondering if others have any experience with this.

Thanks everyone for the great read.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom