Homemade Feeders/Waterer

I used 4 " abs and painted it white. I couldn't find 4" PVC without paying a lot more. I use a abs 4×,4x 1 1/2 " t. Then I used a PVC 1 1/2" to 3/4 " bushing to install the drain . I painted to help keep it cooler

I use 16' of PVC pipes cut into 4' sections hung on the wall on the coop for feeders, but I have 44 chickens using those. I have them placed far away from the roosts though so when they throw it on the floor they can still eat it. The waterers are just the large metal ones with heat bases for winter. I tried the cups and nipples and they did not like that idea lol.
I'm doing the same with my feeders.
I do have 5 gallon water containers just incase they refuse mine :barnie

Good luck! Mine are picky little things! Or maybe just spoiled rotten
Mine just turned 4 weeks old yesterday. I have a 3 gallon bucket with cups and a lid on to keep them from jumping into it. I also have a 5 gallon water containers. It seems like they are using both.
I also have my home made feeder they are using as well

Not sure if nipples would work. They are used to open waterer since they were chics. If I introduced that idea would be afraid they wouldn't figure it out lol
That's my I'll introducing the new feeders and water devisedeat a very young age. By the time they get to use their run they will be comfortable with everything...
Will that's what I'm hoping for

Not sure if nipples would work. They are used to open waterer since they were chics. If I introduced that idea would be afraid they wouldn't figure it out lol
I changed to a 5 gallon horizontal nipple waterer after my girls had always been used to open water for over a year, I pecked at it a few times with my finger to let them see it and they caught on no problem. Now full disclosure I did leave the open water as an option and actually still use that as my water w/ ACV dispenser. But they all caught on super quick and I love the amount of water that it holds and the fact that it's closed off(they can't poop/dirty the water) and in the winter I drop a 50 watt aquarium heater in it and it doesn't freeze up(Horizontal nipples included) The nipples were around 12 bucks for 12 of them and the aquarium heater was 12 bucks also. I can get free 5 gal. food grade buckets for free all day long so it worked out that for about 25 bucks I could make 2/3 waters with one them being winterized:).

I changed to a 5 gallon horizontal nipple waterer after my girls had always been used to open water for over a year, I pecked at it a few times with my finger to let them see it and they caught on no problem. Now full disclosure I did leave the open water as an option and actually still use that as my water w/ ACV dispenser. But they all caught on super quick and I love the amount of water that it holds and the fact that it's closed off(they can't poop/dirty the water) and in the winter I drop a 50 watt aquarium heater in it and it doesn't freeze up(Horizontal nipples included) The nipples were around 12 bucks for 12 of them and the aquarium heater was 12 bucks also. I can get free 5 gal. food grade buckets for free all day long so it worked out that for about 25 bucks I could make 2/3 waters with one them being winterized:).

My Leghorns I'm not to worried about trying out the nipple idea because they are super fast learners. I hate to say it, but my Silkies aren't the sharpest tools in the shed lol. That's my concern. I have access to 5 gallon buckets as well so may give it a shot, wouldn't hurt to try.

Here is a recent picture of our feeder. There is a description of how it was made in my coop article. It has worked well. Never any pellets in the ground.

Attachments

• 20190628_081759.jpg
    20190628_081759.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97

Back
Top Bottom