Homemade Feeders/Waterer

Pics
I just made this waterer I used both cups and nipples. I added a hose shut off valve so I can drain and clean it. It's made using 4" pipe. Holds 5 gallons of water...
Tomorrow time allowing I will make my feeders.

Attachments

• 20190701_192324.jpg
    20190701_192324.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 89
  • 20190701_192359.jpg
    20190701_192359.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 91
Not sure if nipples would work. They are used to open waterer since they were chics. If I introduced that idea would be afraid they wouldn't figure it out lol
That's my I'll introducing the new feeders and water devisedeat a very young age. By the time they get to use their run they will be comfortable with everything...
Will that's what I'm hoping for

Not sure if nipples would work. They are used to open waterer since they were chics. If I introduced that idea would be afraid they wouldn't figure it out lol
I changed to a 5 gallon horizontal nipple waterer after my girls had always been used to open water for over a year, I pecked at it a few times with my finger to let them see it and they caught on no problem. Now full disclosure I did leave the open water as an option and actually still use that as my water w/ ACV dispenser. But they all caught on super quick and I love the amount of water that it holds and the fact that it's closed off(they can't poop/dirty the water) and in the winter I drop a 50 watt aquarium heater in it and it doesn't freeze up(Horizontal nipples included) The nipples were around 12 bucks for 12 of them and the aquarium heater was 12 bucks also. I can get free 5 gal. food grade buckets for free all day long so it worked out that for about 25 bucks I could make 2/3 waters with one them being winterized:).

I've had all age birds either pick it right up within an hour...and others that take weeks to really figure it out.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.

First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger), and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

Back
Top Bottom