Homemade Feeders/Waterer

Not sure if nipples would work. They are used to open waterer since they were chics. If I introduced that idea would be afraid they wouldn't figure it out lol

I've had all age birds either pick it right up within an hour...and others that take weeks to really figure it out.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.

First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger), and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

I've had all age birds either pick it right up within an hour...and others that take weeks to really figure it out.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.

First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger), and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

Great advice aart!! I water them daily. I've seen a lot of the PVC feeder, I believe I will give it a go. I bought lots of PVC to make a runner for the Silkies, but found one for free lol. So need to use it. Where is a good place to get the nipples? Tractor Supply? Feed Store?

My Leghorns I'm not to worried about trying out the nipple idea because they are super fast learners. I hate to say it, but my Silkies aren't the sharpest tools in the shed lol. That's my concern. I have access to 5 gallon buckets as well so may give it a shot, wouldn't hurt to try.
Took us two days to get the Silkies nipple trained. They just wouldn't seem to pay attention enough to "get it". Maybe they finally got thirsty enough, but for whatever reason they did catch on eventually.

I ordered mine online about 5 years ago...you might be able to find them in the farm stores now.

Took us two days to get the Silkies nipple trained. They just wouldn't seem to pay attention enough to "get it". Maybe they finally got thirsty enough, but for whatever reason they did catch on eventually.

Silkies do seem like slow learners. I will try it out on my Leghorns first, they are really smart. Going to check the feed store aart, if they dont have them I'm sure Amazon will

I have used milk jugs with holes cut in sides, milk jugs with nipple waterers in bottoms, bottoms cut off 5gal buckets, wooden vertical bird feeder styles, rain gutter with end caps and mounted like a feed trough...all have worked well and served their purpose for the different sized/aged birds they were servicing

Back
Top Bottom