Homemade Feeders/Waterer

I ordered mine online about 5 years ago...you might be able to find them in the farm stores now.

Took us two days to get the Silkies nipple trained. They just wouldn't seem to pay attention enough to "get it". Maybe they finally got thirsty enough, but for whatever reason they did catch on eventually.

Silkies do seem like slow learners. I will try it out on my Leghorns first, they are really smart. Going to check the feed store aart, if they dont have them I'm sure Amazon will

Been using it for over a month now I think, they don’t really pull it out and make a mess of it, pretty much just stick their heads in and eat
Wow, that's great, neat eaters!!.
Mine feed from a bottom tube and a few still pile it to pull it over the 3" deep dish.
Had to put tubing on the edge to stop it.
upload_2019-7-14_19-53-54.png

Yea, If I did it again, I would use street 90's cut out like the others. That said, I am not particularly convinced this container is going to last a couple winters without breaking eventually. Great idea, but I think it needs a better vessel to hold it than what I have right now.

I am probably going to copy @jthornton design for a wall feeder, but make it thicker to hold more feed. I have a ton of left over pallet planks from my pallet coop build.

I use 16' of PVC pipes cut into 4' sections hung on the wall on the coop for feeders, but I have 44 chickens using those. I have them placed far away from the roosts though so when they throw it on the floor they can still eat it. The waterers are just the large metal ones with heat bases for winter. I tried the cups and nipples and they did not like that idea lol.

Here is a recent picture of our feeder. There is a description of how it was made in my coop article. It has worked well. Never any pellets in the ground.

Attachments

• 20190628_081759.jpg
    20190628_081759.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97

Back
Top Bottom