Homemade Fettucini and Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms !!

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Was gonna make stuffed portobello mushrooms and a spinach salad for dinner, but it got kind of cold here and I decided I wanted to make some fettucini with my rollers and use the semolina flour my wife found at Foodtown ($5.00 for a 2lb bag). Well it sure helps to follow the recipe that KitchenAid supplied in the roller manual. WOW was this easy. So here's a TWO-FER. It was really, really very good. The mushrooms with a salad would satisfy the heartiest meat eater.

Pasta

Mis en place:
2 cups semolina flour
3 eggs (or in our case 4 or 5 bantam eggs)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbls EVO

Place flour, salt and evo in mixer bowl, using the paddle attachment start the mixer and crack and add the eggs one at a time. Use the paddle about 30 seconds after you crack in the last egg. Now switch to the dough hook and work the dough about two minutes - you better stand there and hold that bowl in place because the dough should be dry and not really coming completely together and it WILL want to take the bowl out of stand. If your dough is kind of damp add a little semolina and work the mixer another minute or so. You goal is to work that gluten in the semolina so the dough has some snap. Turn off mixer and remove dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rest at least an hour.

2 Tbls EVO
1/2 cup yellow onion finely chopped
1 Tbls garlic finely chopped
1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 1/2 cups dry white wine (I like chardonnay best)
3 Tbls butter
salt and pepper to taste
pasta water from the pasta cooking pot

1 cup freshly grated parmesan

Have two pans ready to go. One with rapidly boiling water (salted generously) going for the pasta, the other for your "sauce". Get the sauce pot hot, hot - add the EVO and when it almost smokes add the onion and saute about 2 minutes, season with salt and pepper - then add the garlic and saute one minute until it is fragrant. Then add the white wine and parsley and simmer about 3-4 minutes. At this point add the fresh pasta to the water pan (and being fresh pasta) cook in rapidly boiling water about 3-4 minutes. Remove a few ladles of the now starchy pasta water and add to the sauce pan. When pasta is cooked but still very el dente (about 3 minutes) remove it from the water pot and add to the sauce pot. Stir the pasta into the sauce over heat about 1 minute until all is combined. Now remove from heat and add butter and parmesan cheese and toss well. Nothing taste bad with lots of garlic, parsley, white wine and butter dressing it up (LOL)

_____

Stuffed Portobellos ([prepare these first and then go cook off your pasta/sauce while the portobellos are baking)
Mis en place:
2 Tbls EVO
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup (or more) finely chopped mushrooms (and if you have them add the finely chopped stems from the portobellos too)
1 cup dry white wine (you know me I like to use my wife's Chardonnay)
1 cup finely chopped tomato
2 tbls butter

2 slices whole wheat bread toasted, and then cut into very, very tiny cubes
1 tbls Herbs de Provence
salt and pepper
2 Tbls EVO
1 cup plus fresh parsley
1 egg

4 nice sized portobello mushrooms, washed and patted dry, remove stems and finely dice and saute with stuffing mixture (see above)

1 tbls balsamic vinegar
2 Tbls EVO
salt and pepper

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400. Line a 13x9 baking pan with aluminum foil, shiny side up.
Heat skillet on high heat, add EVO, when it almost smokes add onions, then other vegetables in first group and saute about 4 or 5 minutes, next add white wine, chopped tomato and butter and saute about 3 minutes, remove from heat and add bread crumbs, herbs, salt and pepper, EVO, parsley and beaten egg. Combine well with your hands (the best kitchen tool God ever gave you). Set aside. In a medium bowl combine EVO, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper, beat well with a fork. Dredge each of the portobellos in that mixture and then grab 1/4 of the stuffing and place in underside of mushroom and pat it down until it is well stuffed. Place on lined baking pan, repeat with other mushrooms. Bake in 400 degree oven about 18 minutes, or roughly the time it will take you to prepare the above pasta dish. You can make this dish using sauteed bits of italian sausage but it is very satisfying without any meat.

167658_500559647238_700647238_6130011_497200_n.jpg

LOL

Ladies you do NOT want to have a single thing to do with me:

A) very married
B) very set in my ways
C) I am quite the grouch (see B)

Aside from that I love to cook, I especially love to share what I have created. Would I cater at someone's house, only if they were dear friends and the party was SMALL. Otherwise it totally kills the idea of food is love for me.
And I love to share what I have created here - I go thru dry spells and writer's blocks but I'm always cooking. When I can't sleep instead of getting frustrated I think of something I'll cook the next day. And if the sleeplessness persists I get up and cook.
Who in their right mind would wanna tie themselves down to THAT. LOL

I am flattered tho...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom