Homemade flock block recipes

Pics
Quote:
Yes you can, my chickens love Boss in the winter so will be adding it to my block, summer time I guess theres to much other goodies out there.
smile.png

My Silkies love the Purina Flock blocks and they weould be lost without them, best part is they last and last! They come on sale once or twice a year for 5$ instead of 10.00 so I buy 20 of them.

Last edited:
OK, I did this. I took several pieces of stale ( whole wheat ) bread, soaked them with oats, birdseed, raisins, carrot pieces, peanut butter, olive oil, egg shell, etc....

Nuked it in the microwave, off and on, for about 15 minutes. It was rock hard. I iced it with peanut butter on the top and brought it down to the coop.

The chickens were terrified of it!!! They ran around like I'd planted a bomb in their pen. I wound up throwing it out for the sake of their sanity...

hmm.png

Hi all and thanks for all the recipes! We had a little spring clean and found a bunch of expired bits and pieces - so into the flock blocks went:

almond meal - a little
hazelnut meal
wheat - 2 cups
pistachios - a handful
soup mix - 2 cups
nibble mix - one bag (pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and such such)
poppyseeds - about a cup
raisins - two boxes
chopped dates - big bag
some other smashed nuts
udon noodles - four packs
flour - 2 cups
oatmeal - 1 cup
polenta meal - 2 cups
dark corn syrup - 1/2 cup (I couldn't find the molasses)
eggs - 6
coconut oil - 1/2 cup (melted)

… and probably lots of other things I've forgotten.

I pressed these hard into trays that were very well greased with more coconut oil. The mix was lovely and firm, easily holding shape when pressed into a ball. Into the oven for at 160 degrees for 90 minutes for the muffins, then I turned it down to around 130 and baked the larger blocks for a further hour or so. They came out only very slightly pressable/springy, then dried nicely hard.

The chooks were keen out of the gates. They take about a half day to a day to eat a muffin sized block, so I'm really happy with them.

Here they are in the oven:

6158297384_6f35279585.jpg

Back
Top Bottom