1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Fly Trap

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SunshineSilkies, Jul 6, 2009.

1. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Read a post on BYC last week to make a homemade fly trap. Used syrup and ACV. My husband had an idea also.....beer...so we both made our traps, and his trap started out in the lead but by the second day, mine had passed his by a mile...We were laughing all weekend comparing traps...what a way to pass the time huh???[​IMG]

Edited to say that I might switch to molasses...that would really have em coming!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm happy to hear that. My wife won't be wasting good beer on the flies now! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a picture of this trap ? I have flies, maybe they would like to have their own trap . . . . [​IMG]

4. SunshineSilkies

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I just took a bottle (2 liter) and cut 4 holes around the upper part of the bottle, put the ACV and syrup in the bottom, and put the top on and set it in the coop...husband did the same with the beer. Wasn't his beer mind you..one that was left in the fridge from a party..he wouldn't waste is CR on a fly!!!![​IMG]

5. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Did you put any water in there? How much of each did you add? We, too, have a TON of flies and I like this idea more than buying expensive traps! [​IMG]

6. SunshineSilkies

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    In the 2 liter bottle, I put 2 cups of ACV and 2 cups of pancake syrup. Plan on making a few more. The flies really get worse in the juvenile pens because they scratch out more feed.....Those hangup fly traps are expensive and I hate the sticky tape ones...[​IMG]

7. currycomb

currycomb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    sesser, il
    i have another fly killer: plastic milk jugs or soda bottles, cut holes in bottles, place golden malrin fly bait in bottom, hang up out of the way, close to rafters is okay, then watch the flies die! when full, add more golden malrin. no liquid, no smell, no maggots like in the traps you buy if you forget about them. critters cannot get to them either

8. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I think I'll try it with regular white (cheap) vinegar with the syrup. Thanks for the ideas.

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:What happens if the chickens eat the poisoned flies?

10. Snap62

Snap62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Okemah, Oklahoma
    Quote:What the heck is.... "ACV"?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by