Homemade Icubator

Correction 3 of my 4 remaining eggs are rocking around!!!!! I put them in lock down this morning around 9:00a.m.

Correction 3 of my 4 remaining eggs are rocking around!!!!! I put them in lock down this morning around 9:00a.m.

That's great!! You've done very well!!
They could pip anytime within 24hrs, or up to 3 days, just be patient (I know, that is the hardest, lol). That rocking is the chick moving around into position, and why we stop turning them at this time as that helps them figure out which end is up. They will pip internally before they pip the actual shell, and at that time you might hear some quiet cheeping coming from inside. If you make cheeping noises towards them when you check on them, if they've pipped internally they will usually answer back. It's fun and seems to encourage them to pip externally. Once you hear them cheeping in the shell they usually pip externally in 24hrs. Give them plenty of time to zip, that can take an additional 24hrs as well.
Good job and hope they all hatch for ya!! :)

Okay....so the suspense is killing me. We're at day 20 and the eggs are definitely rocking around. But no outer pips!!!!!! Ahhhhhhh! It's killing me. I want to candle them so bad to see if there's an internal pip. But I know it's would only be for my sanity and completely unsafe for my fluffy butts. Big sigh! On a positive note...everytime I play the sound of chickies peeping, my babies move around a lot.

be safe- outer pip does not mean ready to hatch! outer pip could be another 24 hrs before hatch because the chick doesnt absorb all yolk until air is breathed for a while. be patent!! and much luck to you!

Last edited:
I have one that is malpositioned. He has piped on the wrong end...... the egg is very oblong so maybe it's not the wrong side. Anyways, the shell is cracked but I see no break in the membrane?

I would just wait and see if it can breathe, don't take it all the way out of the egg though. it builds strong leg muscles by pushing on the egg shell and it helps it to walk. as long as it can breathe it can be in the shell for a couple of days.

mal position is bad because chick usually pecks inner membrane breathes the air at the large end of egg,24 hrs later outer pip then it rests and can be another 24 before hatch, a malposition chick pecks the wrong end and breathes straight air, and trys to get out before another 24 hrs rest.

Last edited:
mal position is bad because chick usually pecks inner membrane breathes the air at the large end of egg,24 hrs later outer pip then it rests and can be another 24 before hatch, a malposition chick pecks the wrong end and breathes straight air, and trys to get out before another 24 hrs rest.

That's what I've been reading. So my plan of action so far has just been to watch. I've peeled two small pieces of shell out of the way to make sure my little chick is getting adequate air supply. He's got a wet paper towel wrapped around him/her. And I'm keeping the membrane around the pip wet. One of the other eggs pipped this morning(at the correct end). So, I'm basically just going to slowly assist if and when it's needed.Today at 3:00pm is officially 21 days of incubation. I know this little guy will probably need a final assist in getting out. But I'm not looking to bust him out anytime soon. I certainly do not want him to hemorrhage.

go slow and stop if blood. you are doing well. if belly button is bloody at birth, use flour to stop bleeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom