Homemade Icubator

JessicaMallison

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
I made two homemade incubators out of two styrofoam coolers. I ran the first one for 4 days the temp is steady between 101*F to 103*F and the humidity stays steady at 40% to 50%. I turn them between 3 to 5 times a day. I have the eggs sitting in cut cartons for now.I'm at day 12 and I'm going to candle them again tonight. I would love to have some advice and does and don'ts based on others who have used or made homemade incubators please.

small incubator I hatch 2-8 a time.hand turn. dry hatch till first pip.I haven't had to use a hydrometer.and I can feel moisture when I turn. in the summer I just use a cardboard box 8''x9'' ten tall, but in the winter I like to put the box in a foam cooler, put down foil, slit in back of the box I use a clam lamp, then I don't have to wire anything.. 11w currently, with just the box in the summer 15w still air so 101-102. I put in skewers to hang basket, since heat rises I make my own basket, and the sides are tall enough chicks cannot hop over. I put a quilt in for them to hatch on... I make a lid with windo to read temp, I only open the glass to turn. I put them in my dinning room in a big box, with lid, depending on how warm/cold things get I adjust the lids.
That's really awesome! I love diy designs...on just about everything! I really love the quilt. Everything else was cool too....but the quilt really won me over. I saw your incubator on another thread I was reading. I was wondering about your design. Thank you for sharing.i like the basket. It looks way more sturdy than the cabinet liner that I have stretched over the aluminum pans.

This is what I woke up to. My malposition baby pushed out all by itself ♡♡♡♡! Now just waiting on 1 more to hatch. I'm in love.

Today is day 13. I have 10 Heritage Rhode Island Red eggs in my homemade bator. I'm pretty sure I have 4 moving fluffy butt babies and 1 possible out, 3 are completely clear, I believe that means they were not fertile to begin with, and 2 look like day 6 quitters. I'm getting really excited lock down is in 5 days!!!

Last edited:
Looks great and sounds like you're doing fine. First time hatch ever?

Yep,First hatch ever! I got to see the 4 babies moving Sunday night. I candled them a few times before, but I was showing my mother and when she talked they started to move! She's awesome like that. While I was pregnant with all four of my children, all she'd have to do is touch me and they'd move. I think I may have been a day ahead of myself with the eggs lock down day. We are at day 16 today.

I also have 22 Copper Maran eggs in my second bator. Today is day 1. All of my eggs were shipped. So I let them sit for 12 hours before going in the bators. I keep reading stories about detached air cells from shipped eggs. I hope these will be okay. I think next time I will let them sit for 24hrs.

Back
Top Bottom