Homemade Incubator! HELP!!!!

kitkat2498

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
I'm trying to make a homemade incubator,but I can't keep my temperature stable! It keeps sky rocketing into the 100's!! Does the lightbulb have to be a certain height above the eggs? Or is my lightbulb too hot? I have a 15 watt bulb in a 7 by 5 inch plastic cooler with a sheet of glass on top. Is the cooler too small? I also have the bowl of water and sponge,and of course the thermometer,which i have set right next to the eggs. I'd be grateful for any advice,please! Yes,this is my first time hatching and I know I'm not doing it the "right" way,but the eggs were kind of a surprise that I accepted. And now I'm afraid I'm going to fry them! The eggs are only a few days old,if that helps any.

Make sure the light is as close to the thermostate as possible with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of space behind the thermostate, so it can read the temps correctly.

Last edited:
Oh thank you thank you thank you for responding! No I did not put holes,because it's plastic..thick plastic. But I did leave a gap between the glass and top of the cooler. Is it possible to heat the incubator from outside? With a heat lamp?

It's a small cooler, but if it's set up right, it could work. Also, did you make vent holes?
Oh thank you thank you thank you for responding! No I did not put holes,because it's plastic..thick plastic. But I did leave a gap between the glass and top of the cooler. Is it possible to heat the incubator from outside? With a heat lamp?

I don't think so, but when you get a chance, use a drill and leave some small holes. The chicks need oxygen while they hatch. Did you check out the hot to pages with the homemade bators?

I have dealt with the same issue w/ my DIY bator. The light def needs to be a certain distance above. You will have to make slight adjustments as to not get too many large fluctuations. Open the bator for about 10 mins to cool down if not in lockdown. Can you post pics of your set up?

I have dealt with the same issue w/ my DIY bator. The light def needs to be a certain distance above. You will have to make slight adjustments as to not get too many large fluctuations. Open the bator for about 10 mins to cool down if not in lockdown. Can you post pics of your set up?

Here's a picture of the original set up. It has currently been disassembled as I try to fix it up. I only have a few eggs (obviously not in picture!) and right now they are uh...in my...shirt.
roll.png
Didn't want to risk losing them! Thank you for helping.

No prob! I like to have the bulb hanging so I can adjust temp with height.
SilkieRose....This will work in a brooder but I don't think it will work in an incubator...will it??

KitKat....What kind of thermostat do you have to turn the light on and off to maintain the temperature?

Back
Top Bottom