Homemade incubator question

I have two GQF incubators and a Brower top hatch. It's not about saving my "bawks" or skimping whatsoever. As others have said, it's the thrill of the hunt for the items, the sense of accomplishment and the fun bringing our family together to make the incubator.

Anyhow........I'll check with our vet and our pharmacy to see if they have one. I really liked the one she pictured since it's was more square and not so tall and deep.

Thanks!
Kristen

We got one when we received some steaks through the mail. It had the meat and a block of dry ice. I have not turned it into an incubator yet. I had a yard sale find cooler that I used first.

I guess I can understand some of the reasoning behind building a bator yourself but if it is to save a buck you'll waste the cash in the long run, I have a whole outbuilding of regrets that I thought I could save some cash and blammo, it really didn't work out that well. If I were going to build one for performance and pride I'd transform an non working refrigerator into a super bator, if it's worth doing it's worth doing it big enough that the neighbors talk about you, the fridge area for incubating and the freezer for hatching, but that's just me, I'm kinda wacky.

I personally enjoy gleaning the maximum number of chicks out of the eggs, I bought several of the styrofoam bators and they worked OK and always had a medium hatch rate, then found a guy on craigslist selling a 1202 sportsman for cheep so I upgraded and paid for the sportsman by selling the styrofoam bators and my hatch rate went through the roof, mo' chickies mo' chickies mo' chickies!!! For me I just remember a lot of wasted effort, frustration and eggs, the worst memories are all of the lost fully developed chickies that died for no apparent reason except my neglect to provide the best hatching environment.

Quote:
Buying one doesn't guarantee that the hatches will be any better.
Plus the thrill of accomplishing something worthwhile is a challenge that most of us can't pass up. Isn't that why we hatch eggs in the first place? We worry over each hatch. Keep meticulous records and try different ways improving the next one. That and they are just so darned CUTE.
love.gif

edited cause I can't spell

First off any poorly built homemade bator is way better than a LG, most homemade bators operate better also. some of us like the sense of accomplishment when we make our own bators. If you buy an LG with a fan and a turner it will cost roughly $150.00 + or - I plan on building my own bator very well built with parts locally purchased and many more features for a fraction of the cost of the cheap chinese LG. and will last for many many years after your LG is in the landfill. To me it is not about the $$, but building one is less expensive. It just sounds to me that you are totally incapable of even attempting such a simple task. I do understand your position, that is does take some effort and a little thought. Good luck with your LG!!!.

AL

Not sure about saving only a few bucks. I made my incubator out of items I already had. The only thing I bought was the thermometer and from what I have read everyone buys those even if they buy a bator. I built mine with my children as a science project to see if one could be built out of household items. It was a old cooler that was cracked and we were throwing it away anyways, a old heating pad, a popouri pot, a fan from a broken computer, a wire rack and a glass from a old picture frame. We drilled holes at top and bottom for air flow and to get the temp. stable. It works great if the temp of our house stays around the same temp. I had a little giant but didn't like alot of things about it. the big one was the heat came from the top, whenever you removed the top you remove the heat source and temp drops quickly. Mine the heat is from bottom, top is hinged I can open bator just a crack to add water or turn eggs ect. and barely see a temp or humidity change at all. I have not had a really bad hatch from mine. I guess it just depend on what you want.

hey Buckeyedave,Id bet money that your hatch % isnt any better than mine,if the temps and humidity are stable and correct whats the difference,Im thinking because you couldnt get it done doesnt mean no one else can,plus I have a lifetime worth of memories building our bator with my son,and that is pricless,money isnt everything,but YES i did save lots of CASH

and....KBBEALE,we used 11/2 in. foam insulation from home depot so we could make it exactly the size we wanted,then we taped it up with duct tape,then slid the whole bator in a cardboard box works perfect,hold temps even in a fluctuating room temprature,good luck with yours

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
You guys are too too funny, all puffy and “my bator is better than your bator”, getting all personal and bashy on chickenchat, nice.

My only point was if someone was doing it to save cash they would probably spend more time and money making one from scratch than buying one. Happy hatching!

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
You guys are too too funny, all puffy and “my bator is better than your bator”, getting all personal and bashy on chickenchat, nice.

My only point was if someone was doing it to save cash they would probably spend more time and money making one from scratch than buying one. Happy hatching!

My point was exactly that, it is cheaper to build your own, and can be done in just a few hours over a pot of coffee. Easy peezy, japaneezy.

Deep breath everyone.
wink.png
I think we are getting beyond the scope of the original post. Anyone else have any ideas of where to find the Styrofoam boxes? I got mine from a meat delivery. It is 2 inches thick and about 2.5 feet long.

Try any local fish mongers, or fish shipping containers these normally are very good for thier styrofoam.

Back
Top Bottom