Homemade Incubator - Temperature/Thermostat Problems!

Quote:
Here's a closeup of where everything is, and I used a flash on the 2nd one so you can see where I put everything in the bottom. Instructions for building are on my BYC page (bottom.) the thermostat is laying on top of the wire shelf, above the lamp. Well, it's a back towards the bottom black part of the lamp. Purely for convenience, its where it fit and my egg carton still fit in front of it.

incub2f.jpg

omcib2g.jpg

Still trying to figure out how to regulate. I turned it up a bit and the digital goes off at 108 but the side thermometers are at 100 and 98. When the digital goes back on at 104-105, the side thermometers are at 99 and 97. The eggs will be where the side thermometers are. Does this seem reliable enough? The digital is in the middle of the box but I don't want to be cooking the eggs near the middle to 108 every few minutes.

Last edited:
That is a tough one. If it was me I would back it down just a bit. But thats me better to have them incubate a day or to longer than cook in the shell.

removed my edit.

Last edited:
1 - thermometers - i tend to trust the analog ones, my own opinion. unless you have pricey digital ones that are priced to be very accurate.
put them at the egg tray or egg level.
2. different temps - the temp at egg level is more important. some people calibrate by having a sensor inside a simulated egg - eggshell with gel inside, sitting at the very same egg tray where eggs will sit during incubation

Last edited:
Okay, fiddled a bit, got rid of the digital thermometer and moved the other thermometers in a bit towards the middle.

They go off at 101/98
They go on at 100/97

Will this be okay? The humidity shot up to 62% so I'll have to fiddle with it a bit to get it down to around 30's for the first 18 days. Then I'm thinking it can go back up to the 62% for lockdown...

Nope, no eggs yet. They're somewhere between here (MO) and Augusta, GA where they were yesterday morning (according to tracking #). Can't wait!

I'm going to unwrap them when they come and let them sit until Friday. 24 hours to come to room temperature. Hoping they all made the trip okay.

Back
Top Bottom