Homemade Incubator - Temperature/Thermostat Problems!

A heat sink has as its purpose ABSORBING heat which may (usually) be created by the heat source (light bulb, element etc) at a rapid but fluctuating rate and then releasing that heat back into the environment slowly and steadily. A practical example is the copper bottom on many sauce pans and broilers. The copper conducts/radiates heat at a very steady, constant rate and within a limited temp range, protects what you are cooking from spikes in temp, or uneven heating on different parts of the pan bottom. Small canning jar(s) filled partially or fully with water and lids tightly sealed (to limit/prevent increased humidity) work acceptably. Some types of stone work really well, too...

I'm sure you all are getting tired of trying to help me. But I appreciate everything you're telling me. I'm sure once I get it correct, it will be easy to keep it there.

Okay, changes made:
60 watt bulb
Moved thermostat off lamp and taped to wall between lamp and fan. Fan blows across thermostat and hits lamp
Put in 2 small mason jars 1/2 filled with water and sealed (with duct tape, surprisingly had no lids, yet) for heat sinks

Still has 2 bowls of water
still has 3 thermometers

Crossing fingers this time...

hit.gif
I am having the same problem too. Will try what ya'll (can ya'll tell I am from Texas)
lau.gif
having been saying also. Question, does putting more water in incubator bring humidity up or down?

Last edited:
Quote:
I put the 100 watt bulb back in and we're up to 100 degrees so far. We'll see where it turns off and if it comes right back on.

EDITED: Ugh. And I was so excited to think these changes might fix it all.

Off at 100 degrees
On at 92 degrees.

I'm just not destined to hatch viable eggs...

Last edited:
Quote:
More water = more water vapor in a heated environment=more humidity. The exception to this would naturally be if your water was in tightly sealed containers (such as canning jars, or any 'snap-lock' sort of plastic ware with a sealable top). A key to raising humidity is the exposed surface area of water...for example if you have equal volumes of water in two containers but one is a 9" x 12" casserole dish and the other is a quart jar with a narrow neck, the water will (most likely) vaporize and increase the relative humidity faster via the casserole dish, all other factors being the same.

Lightfoote

Back
Top Bottom