Homemade Incubator - Temperature/Thermostat Problems!

Well first off take your time on working on it. I know you have eggs shipping but it's better to leave them on the counter an extra day than put them in a bator your having to tinker with.

What are you temps running? Also any chance of a pic of what you have so far?

One possible problem is your light bulb. 100 watt might be too much. I'm using a 40 watt bulb on mine. I think I would change that out first, and also try to get the fan positioned right. I'm not saying that will fix it, but it is definitely worth a shot. If there is a change I would guess it will be for the better.

Can you take a piece of screen or hardware cloth and make a bracket to hold your thermostat? Perhaps make an "L" shaped piece. You can put the thermostat on one section and then wire or screw the other part to the lid or something. That way you could give a little space between it and the bulb. I'm just throwing out stuff to consider that might help you.
smile.png

hey contessa what Orange Ribbon tried to tell you in an older post is that you need to take the fan and place it a certain way to make the air blow between the light and thermostat, he didn't mean putting the fan between the light and thermostat..... here i will show you what i mean
70328_new_homemade_incubator_set_up_003.jpg
in this picture you see that the fan is directed at the light and thermostat,,,, this is what Orange ribbon was trying to tell you
smile.png

Quote:
and if i moved my fan a little to the left if would make the airflow go between the light and thermostat...... this is what you need to do,,,, and changing your light bulb to a smaller wattage would be the best thing for you to do

Last edited:
I'm curious why a higher lightbulb would be too much. Wouldn't the hotter it is, keep the temperature up? I just can't explain the fluctuation. Okay, I turned down my thermostat because I was getting upwards of 103-104 degrees. Not good. About the wire bracket recommended... that would put the thermostat away from the bulb, right? I've already had the thermostat away. It didn't change the variance by much...

Right now...

temp turns off: 99 degrees
temp turns on: 93 degrees
humidity level: 38%

Pics of my latest set up with changes, is at the bottom of my BYC Page. Scroll all the way down, looking for today's date.

I have one on the wall by the thermostat (might have put it in after the pic), which reads off the chart because its so close. I have the one on the wire rack, plus you probably can't see it well but I have a metal rod one attached to a digital thermometer (the digital part is outside the incubator), kind of like a meat thermometer. It's where I'm getting my readings. The thermometer in the middle ranges real close to the digital one, by a degree or less.

Back
Top Bottom