Homemade Incubator - Temperature/Thermostat Problems!

Well now I'm really frustrated. I've physically taped the thermostat to the lightbulb. It's hanging less than a 1/2" from the bulb.

The temperature goes to 100 degrees before the thing shuts off. But it waits until 94/95 degrees to come back on again.

Quote:
the fan needs to be right next to the light and thermostat, because after the light shuts off the thermostat is still hot, and it will take a while for it to cool off,,,,so it will take a while for it to come back on, you need the fan close to the thermostat, so it can cool down the thermostat and the thermostat will turn on before the rest of the incubator cools down,,,,, Does this make any sense what i am saying to you???

Last edited:
My T-stat light and fan are in a jumbled mess next to each other

92432_0705111834a.jpg

But it works lol

sounds like you have a lot of questions needed answered,,,, first of all it takes exactly 3 weeks to hatch a baby chick,,, and the temperature needs to be 99.5 degrees for the ideal hatch,,,, most of us don't get those results with any incubator, and i said (MOST),,,, usually don't,,, you should try to at least keep the temp at 99, to 100 and most people will tell you to keep your humidity at 40-50% (DONT DO THAT) you dont get good hatch results that way,,, what you wanna do is keep your humidity at 20% the first 18 days,,, and after the 18 days is over,,, then you stop turning the eggs, and let them sit, in the incubator,,, then you add water to it on day 18 and keep water in it.... bring your humidity up to 60% the last three days of incubation,,,, this is called LOCKDOWN,,, and you dont open the incubator at this time,,,, you can if you need to add water REALLY fast,,, then close the lid,,,, and on day 21 dont open the lid for anything,,, by day 21 you should have had enough time to do these thing such as add water, and on day 21 you watch and wait,,, and a word of advise is that you add WARM water to your incubator for humidity

Well, I've tried everything I can think of. Thermostat is taped to the lamp, fan is right under the lamp. All jumbled on one side. Was going off at 100 and on at 93.

I pulled the silver stuff off the sides of the walls and it goes off at 101 and on at 97. Is this variance gonna kill everything because I really don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks for the info on humidity. I didn't know this. I'm going to drill a hole in the side for a clear tube to go through so I can water during lockdown. I'm working on getting the humidity down to 20%. Put in two bowls instead of one. We'll see if that does it...

Could my thermostat possible be broken or something?

I think you can still get it closer to the right temp, but you are going to have to patiently work at it a little more. You are making progress even tho it has been in tiny steps. You could try another thermostat, but I don't think that is your problem. You have the fan under the light. Is it blowing across the light and thermostat? If so, you might try putting it where it will blow air BETWEEN the light and thermostat which will cool the sensor area faster.

I moved my thermostat so I could get to the control knob better. I did have to take out my egg turner to get to it. I moved it to the side of the light bulb about 1/2 inch away and it is turning on at 100.4 and turning off at 100.4 but the temp would still raise to 100.5. So it is hanging right in there as far as range goes. I just turned it back a little to get it down to 99.5 and will check on it later.

It took me a few days to get mine close too. And I'm still going to let it run another week to make sure I have all the bugs out before I get any eggs. I know it is a lot of little stuff you have to think of and try. As I told someone in another post, it is just like tuning a bow to get the arrow to fly true. You have to get all your little adjustments just right before you can consistently hit same spot. Once you can hit the same spot everytime, then you move the sight to where you want it. So you keep adjusting until you get a consistent temperature even if it is 105 degrees. Don't worry about where it is hitting, just get it to hit there consistently. After you get that done, THEN you set the temperature where you want it.

I hope that makes sense. I know I used to get aggravated over some of the bows I used to shoot. It is always the little things that get you!
smile.png

I love this website! I know when I wake up I will have wonderful answers from helpful people.

OKAY!

Today I will try moving the fan to BETWEEN the thermostat and lamp although I'm not sure how to do that since the thermostat is taped to the lamp.

My lamp bulb is 100.

I just don't understand the variance I'm getting when the thermostat can't be any closer to the lamp.

I'm wondering if having the whole thing in a rubbermaid tub is bad. Maybe it loses heat too quickly? But the variance was the same when I had the insulated stuff around the sides... But then you'd think the thermostat would come right back on then. My thermometer is NOT right by the lamp and stuff, its down on the rack where the eggs would be. I'm wondering if near the lamp the temp is not varying as much as near the thermometer. Last night i was trying to think of a way to attach the lamp/thermostat/fan to the BOTTOM of the tub and somehow raising my rack that the eggs will sit on, UP. Maybe having the heat under the rack (heat rises) will keep the temp more constant. But then again, I'm thinking, it shouldn't matter since the thermostat is on the lamp.

*sigh*

My eggs were sent in the mail today. I have at most, 2 days to get this right!

Back
Top Bottom