Homemade Incubators

just pulled it out of storage. All of the eggs that hatched were from the top tray. The bottom was too hot. Yes I had 4 thermostats in there. 3 fans. Tons of water bottles. Thinking all add a bulb to the top and have lower wattage for both. I'd also like to find automatic trays that would fit in the shelves as well

Last edited:
just pulled it out of storage. All of the eggs that hatched were from the top tray. The bottom was too hot. Yes I had 4 thermostats in there. 3 fans. Tons of water bottles. Thinking all add a bulb to the top and have lower wattage for both. I'd also like to find automatic trays that would fit in the shelves as well

I have built incubators-----Maybe if you would shield it---it might help. You stated you had 4 thermostats in it?? Are you meaning 4 thermometers? Can not figure why you would need 4 thermostats. What kind of thermostat are you using??

Yes lol 4 thermometers! They are digital ones from fleet farm I'd have to check the brand. I set it up with 2 13 watt bulbs. Guess I just got to wait a few days now

Its been over a week since I posted to your post----where you been? I do not understand your post. Are you having trouble keeping the temp correct?? But the humidity is good?? If you are having trouble with the temp---is it to low or to high? I asked you if you were using a thermostat---to control the temp-----I guess you are not-------seems you want to crack open the lid or drill holes to try and control the temp---which is not good. If you get it right and the room temp changes a couple degree's----then its wrong again???
Just the temp is wrong. I can keep the humidity great by adding water, I'm also in a Humid Part Of Texas. I don't have a Thermostat, I don't know where to get one, I also don't know how to set one up. I also rely on the library, I don't have internet at home, and I don't have a cell phone, So I don't always have access to the Internet. My last incubator(half the size of this one), I had to keep the lid open too, but I hatched at least a Dozen before it went kaput(Mice got to it and ate a big hole in it). Is it Because its bigger than my other Incubator was? Do I need more Vents?(I only have 2, one on each side, but at least 2 inches Square). In my head, my Posts make sense to me, Sorry if they confuse you. You know what, if I don't make sense to you, you don't need to reply. I'll buy one if I cant get this one to work.

I don't have a Thermostat, I don't know where to get one, I also don't know how to set one up.

Some people use this one from lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Water-Heater-Thermostat/3693208 some order a better one off E-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-STC...278040?hash=item35f9fb88d8:g:h34AAOSwJcZWcQSj or similar. You just cut one wire going to the light bulb and hook then to one of these. Adjust----- The digital will go outside---you have to cut a hole for it to fit in. the hot water one goes inside.

Last edited:
Well yes I know but along with all the supplies I need I just wanna know what kind of light bulb I'd need in order to get the correct temp so that I'm not wasting money buying bulbs that put off low heat or put off too much

Well yes I know but along with all the supplies I need I just wanna know what kind of light bulb I'd need in order to get the correct temp so that I'm not wasting money buying bulbs that put off low heat or put off too much

Do you realize that, the thickness of the cooler, how good the lid fits, the temp of the room its in, vents, etc, effects the temp inside the cooler/bator. If the room its in gets a few degree's warmer or cooler---then the temp inside the incubator gets cooler or warmer. Maybe someone that had Played with this can give you a idea on the size bulb. Me personally, I would use a thermostat to control the temp then the size bulb, etc would not be so critical.

Last edited:
Why of course I'm aware of temperature change and all that I was just asking around for people who have had the personal experience of hatching eggs in a styrofoam cooler the question was not specifically directed towards one person I just needed some advice on a good bulb to use, that's all that I was curious about was what kind of bulb others have used and whether or not they had a high hatching rate from such a rigged invention. I'm well aware about the necessity of having the right humidity and maintaining the right temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom