Homemade killing cone!

I killed my first chicken today. I'm still a bit traumatized. I was not excpecting him to stay so calm and trusting.

I tied his legs together, and put a plastic Walmart bag (with a hole in the bottom) over his head, effectively serving the same function as the bleach bottle, I guess. But I'm thinking I'll try the bleach bottle next time so I can hook it up permanently as I plan to be doing a bunch of chickens over time.

Thanks for the idea.

Did you have to cut some of the top of the bleach bottle off or does the 2 gallon size bottle have a large enough hole?

Where exactly is the jugular vein located? How do you find it under the neck feathers? This is the method that I would like to try because it seems a more peaceful way to die
roll.png
. I've read that even when you cut their head off they are still somewhat alive and are struggling because they are trying to get a breath. Whether this is true or not, I don't know but I'm familiar with the story of Mike the headless chicken.

I cut some off the top of the jug.

When the chicken is comfortably contained in the jug, just pull down gently on the head with your thumb under the beak. Slice directly where the waddles meet the feathers on the neck. A nice deep cut here opens both carotid and jugular and you don't have to sever the whole head. This way the spinal cord isn't damaged and the bird just calmly bleeds out and cannot breath. No ugly jerking and curling of the neck when the spinal cord is left undamaged.
smile.png

Are you saying to cut perpendicular to the neck at the point where the waddle meets the feathers, or are you saying to cut some what vertically, along the waddle/feather junction? (I'm thinking that the waddle runs vertically, and we want a horizontal cut).

Bill Ross

Quote:
That would be a horizontal cut,side to side on that neck. Deep enough for the vessels and trachea but stopping when you meet bone. It should be one, swift motion, with the head held between a thumb and forefinger of the same hand and the knife in the opposing hand.

Thanks for posting about the bleach container AND your method of cutting the chicken's neck. We were complete novices when we did our first batch in February. Over the weekends of 5/16 and 5/23 we'll be butchering 30 more. Your helpful hints just might make things a bit easier for us!

I killed my first chicken today too
smile.png
It was rather easier than I anticipated. I used a minature cone purchased at Sutherlands. I cut the base off and widened the end alittle and nailed up on a board. It worked perfect.

I did not like the plucking part, I don't think I dunked him long enough to loosen the feathers up. Next time I'll know.

If you do a search for the author "Frugal" he has a very imformative thread on this subject with pictures to show exactly where to make the cut.

I don't think it sounds peaceful I could never do that sorry if it sounds rude I had to put a chicken out of its pain once because it broke a hip and I just couldn't do it couldn't even shoot it so I took it to the neighbor's and had him do it.

Back
Top Bottom