Homemade nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MonkeyZero, Jan 11, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

I need links or idea for a medium sized nesting box. Anything VERY EASY AND CHEAP will do. Stuff found around the house to make one will do too.

Thanks

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    A big flour part I think this is what I am going to try when they start laying

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    people have mentioned using five gallon buckets on their side. some use as is, others put some strips of rags in front to make dressing room type curtain.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    1.A five gallon bucket layed on its side and attach a small piece of wood-maybe a couple of rulers on the lower part so the eggs dont fall out-then put some nesting material in it- put in a dark corner

2.a cardboard box

3.one of those plastic ice cream box things and lay on its side-put bedding in-attach a cloth over the front so it is dark

4. try to nail or attach what you have a foot off the floor somehow

5.a covered litter box is perfect

6. a small pet carrier

5. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Our girls lay in either a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket; laid on it's side (stabilized to not roll) or a medium sized cardboard box. Once they figure out that's the place lay, they develop a preference for that location and type of box.

6. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Tiki, sorry I was typing while you were posting [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

When I moved into my new house, there were some mis-matched desk drawers out in the shop. I use these with wood dividers, even though I didn't really need the dividers. All the ladies lay in there except the Ameraucana- who digs a hole in the corner by the door- lol

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I used a old kitchen cabinet, that is on its side, with dividers put in. this way I can collect egg without having to go into chicken area of coop.

[​IMG]

bags in top boxes to keep chickens out till ready to lay eggs

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  10. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I thought about taking a drawer, and then putting on a lid, and make it into 3 parts for the 3 hens. Then putting in some substrate. Then attaching it to the coop.

One of them are about 7-8 months old. The other 2 are about 9-10 months old. They arent laying, the have some oyster shell, and I dust the food with crushed eggshell for calcium and are on grower crumbles. Are they not laying due to cold? When should I expect them to start laying? Do I need a male?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by