1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Rain proof Range feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by intownfarm, Apr 18, 2007.

1. intownfarm

intownfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Does anyone have plans for a homemade rainproof range feeder? I have been trying to come up with a way to keep my feeder out of the elements. Any ideas would be great.

2. intownfarm

intownfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    No ideas???

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmm.....are we talking a feeder for outside? If so...maybe you can build a tiny gazebo type shelter for the feeder? or just a roof shape, with legs over the feeder? Hope this helps.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there, I've been wondering about that myself.
    I haven't tired to get one but ya know those old satellite dishes, those really big ones you sometimes see in peoples yards? Take one of those and flip it & some how make supports for it. Since they are curved it would shed the rain pretty good I think. Well it really wouldn't be much to look at, but I always try to reuse stuff as much as possible.
    Just a thought. [​IMG]
    Miriam

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    plastic garbage can lid attached to the top of the feeder keep the rain off.

1 person likes this.
  6. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    How about a wooden horse with some sort of canopy over it, and secured?? I have a wooden horse in the pool my chicks are in in the garage so I had something to clamp the light too!! [​IMG]

7. SallyKay3926

SallyKay3926 New Egg

Jun 10, 2013
    NEWBIE:
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    20 years ago +

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    75, goin on a hundred

(3) What breeds do you have?
    barred rock, americanas, buffs, white leghorns, jersey black giants, japanese bantams, red cochins, new babies are coocoo Marins. its like a rainbow in the yard.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Jewelry Making, and selling on etsy.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    husband, Jack, Retired full time gardener and Jack of all, Plumber, electrician, and rock picker.
    we have 26 acres, mostly rock covered in grass.
    Joined this forum because I want to raise some really big Quail. I have eggs coming for Butler Bobs, 50, but I am looking for New Strains of Quail that will Produce a big bird for food consumption and eggs. My husband is diabetic and our concerns with GMO food is alarming. we have just about stopped buying Meat. Want to raise our own for our own use and maybe a few neighbors.
    So my big interest is in Large Quail Production threads.

BUT, I do know a little about range feeders, seen a few and Jack(husband) wants to build one for the deer and turkey.
    We were this week talking about HOW TO DO IT.
    Well there are a few considerations, deer don't like strange stuff, turkey are so leary about strange hardware. You got to look Natural, and still keep the feed dry. My suggestion is to put in a fresh salt lick first to get the deer used to the area you want them to feed. Then introduce a 2x4 flat box x24inch square, with drain holes for damp, in a plywood bottom, enough area to hold a 2 day supply of Corn, a quart or so, make the cover out of Natural branches. That was my suggestion. I will post a picture. When Jack finishes it. He has gone to buy the salt lick today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by