homemade skunk odor eliminator - IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

carwinew

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
I copied down the homemade skunk odor eliminator recipe a while back knowing that sooner or later it would be needed with our 2 dogs and at 0515 this AM it was desperately needed. I am impressed as it does works immediately like the recipe said it would. DH and I couldn't smell anything for sure so we brought out DD & DS and asked them to smell the dogs without telling them what to sniff for. All they could smell was "an Ajax cleaner type" smell.
I have always bought Skunk-Off from the vet to have on hand which works but it is expensive.
For those that don't have the recipe here it is:

1 pint bottle 3% hydrogen peroxide
2T baking soda
2t hand dishwashing soap (we had Dawn)

Mix together in a spray bottle and spray liberally.
It doesn't keep so it can't be made ahead of time but it takes only a minute to put together. This was enough for a bloodhound and a medium sized mutt with a little leftover.
Now I have to go buy more peroxide just in case their "friend" comes back tomorrow morning.

This recipe will come in handy. Thanks.
thumbsup.gif

This does work, but only if you get the animal cleaned while the skunk spray is very fresh. I had one that was sprayed at least 12 hours before I found her. It didn't work. However, Totally Toddler Nursery Odor and Stain remover worked great. Find that in the baby section at Walmart. Just sprayed it on, left 15 min and washed it off. Miracle stuff.

I must tell this story..................many years ago we had a wonderful dachchund named Slinky. My dh and I were just getting over colds and our sinuses were completely blocked up. I mean to tell you, we could not smell much at all. Slinky woke me to go out in the middle of the night and being sleepy from the cold meds, I just turned him loose. Now mind you we live in the middle of 82 acres, mostly wooded.
hmm.png
I heard him barking a lot but was so sleepy I never gave it a thought and went to the door to let him him..............he jumped up onto the bed....................I laid back down.....................he borrowed under the covers as he usually did............................THEN IT HIT ME! Sitting up in bed I yelled WHAT IS THAT SMELL
ep.gif
as tears started running down my face! My dh refused to admit he smelled anything at all!
idunno.gif
I wish I had known this remedy way back then
th.gif
Let me tell you, a direct hit on your dog does not smell like what you smell on the road! It is a thousand times worse.
lau.gif

Direct hit is definitely worse! At least you can drive away from a roadkill.
I was sound asleep this AM when I heard DH yelling at the dogs to come back. Started to drift back to sleep when the aroma of skunk started coming through the open window. DH was cussing at the dogs and I knew why. So glad I had posted the recipe on the fridge - and could find it!

Thank You!!

My dog got sprayed about 30 mins ago. I had the recipe before but, I was in a panic and couldn't think where I had put the recipe.

I came on to my computer and was so thankful to see your post!!

My dog smells so much better and I think she too is glad you posted this recipe.

Sincerely,

Mary and Spirit

macpow

This does work, but only if you get the animal cleaned while the skunk spray is very fresh. I had one that was sprayed at least 12 hours before I found her. It didn't work. However, Totally Toddler Nursery Odor and Stain remover worked great. Find that in the baby section at Walmart. Just sprayed it on, left 15 min and washed it off. Miracle stuff.

I wonder why it didn't work for you. I have washed dogs with it and the spary was not fresh. They were outside dogs and I didn't discover that they had been sprayed until the next morning. It worked fine for me. Washed them down with it liberally a couple times though. The nursery odor stuff sounds interesting. I'll get some next time I go to Wally World. Also some peroxide. I'm out of that. Not good. Where I live there are lots of skunks and they and the dogs do not always peacefully coexist.

Back
Top Bottom