Homemade spill free duckling waterer...

That's what I use for my little ones. The tiny 4 oz canning jars are great. They are heavy and do not tip over when someone thinks he/she is a climber. After that I use small dog bowls. And from there to the tub method.
Katharina

My method only cuts down on the messiness of ducklings drinking, but it's cheap and the difference is amazing.

Get an empty Cool Whip container. Cut an oval slice out of the lid. Put a rock in the bottom of the container (so the kids can't knock it over), add the water, and snap the lid back on.

41679_duklingwaterer.jpg

They can still pull their heads back out with their bills full of water, and sling some around the brooder. I don't think ANYTHING stops that habit.

I have 6 3 1/2 week old indian runners. I have them in a big dog cage.......... the wire one in my house. I've gone through pine shavings and newspaper. They would eat them both. So, I use old towels. They work the best.

For the food and water..... this took a few times because as they grew they made more of a mess. I use chick feeders for my ducks. I have the chick waterer too. The mason jar size. I put a decent size roasting pan in the cage, put a 3 to 4 inch (deep) round rubbermaid contain upside down in the roasting pan. Then I put the water on top of that. Use one big enough for the base of the waterer. You don't want it to small and too big they will try to climb on it. The birds love it, when they dribble the water it goes in the roasting pan. If they happen to knock over the waterer, which doesn't really happen unless it's empty, ends up in the roasting pan. They still have water to drink when the waterer is empty. Less mess, water contained.

The feeder I just put on top of a rubbermaid tub just like the waterer. I don't use a roasting pan for the food. They don't have to bend down as far.... it's easier for them to eat the food. I'll try and post pictures if it doesn't make sense.

Here is a picture of my set up. It's not the greatest picture and yes the cage is dirty. This is what I wake up too in the morning........ lol. I had already refilled the water. Dirty cage is not really a problem because the entire cage goes outside to be cleaned. Birds and all.

Anyway, here is the water and feed set up. It's pretty basic.

45848_dsc00039.jpg

Ok, I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. Hopefully something will show up.

Wow, I know this is an OLD POST but I'd love to see a pix of this one. Trying to imagine it isn't working!

Just got seven new ducklings about three days ago and trying to get the bigger 'nursery' set up now.

Back
Top Bottom