Homemade waterer

You're quite welcome. It's nice to be able to pay it forward now and then after all the help I've gotten from this site.

It is very easy. I have one inside the coop and one in the run. There's enough water in those two for several weeks for our 12 chickens but we usually change it once a week and wipe out the bucket.

We also installed a rain barrel next to the coop since it has a metal roof. Made it a lot easier to refill the water jugs.

Have you figured out how to make this work in the winter without freezing? If so, how did you do it?

The bucket and water jug container:

Easy, pond aerator..... stick a small air block ( like those you see in aquariums) you can get them in a variety of shapes and a small air pump, place the pump in a protective box to ensure it itself doesn't get wet and the air will agitate the water enough to prevent freezing....

OR

you can go to lowes, home depot or amazon and buy a smaller pond rated aerator. the chickens at first may shy, but they get used to it. I can only guarantee this will work in my VA climate or better... in extreme freezing I can personally say I have not tested, but people all over have and do use it as most feel its safer and cost way less to run as a heater.

OR

You can buy a bucket heater if you feel like not risking this

The tube waterer:

They have heating cable you can wrap around pipes and insulate. it have a thermostat on the beginning and if pressed up against it, IT SHOULD detect when the water gets to freezing and turns on just enough to keep it above. I would suggest protecting the cable from pecking chicken beaks.....

Last edited:
Love the ARCW acronym KDK1. So funny.
lau.gif
And the quote at the bottom of of your post.
gig.gif
So funny!

Back
Top Bottom