Homemade waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farmerboy16, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I am looking for some ideas for waterers. I have those metal waterers, and some of them are a pain in the neck, and cost $$$! I live in Mi, and we get those cold winters, and I would like to find a cheap, efficient way of watering 20 pens of chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas, peafowl in one coop. Please post pictures of your watering system. Thanks.

2. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Bought four nipples like these on ebay:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259012

Took a five gallon bucket, drilled four holes in the bottom, added the nipples, built a small stand attached to the coop, placed the bucket in this, adjusting the height of the bucket upwards with lumber as the chickens grew.

Gail

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Thanks! It looks like that it will work for me and the chickens, I am 22, have carpal tunnel on both wrist, so that will help me alot. [​IMG]

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

The five gallon bucket I used lasts about a week with the 8 chickens we have in that coop (longer on cooler days). When it runs low it's filled with a hose so no dragging a full bucket around.

Gail

5. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Here's one I copied from this site. Been using it for a few months now and it's working well so far. I can post more detailed pictures later if you're interested.

[​IMG]

6. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Quote:I'm also looking for homemade waterer ideas, would love if you could post details on yours - it looks great!

thanks!

7. seanb

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    I'll take some more pictures and post again later. I'll include measurements of cuts too.

You'll need a five gallon bucket, a 5 gallon water bottle (I found mine at Walmart for $7 but not every Walmart carries them) and a short piece of 3" or 4" pvc pipe.

For the winter weather, I plan on fabricating some kind of enclosure that will house an incandescent lamp to keep the water from freezing. The waterer will sit on top of the enclosure.

More to come later...

8. seanb

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty simple. If the water keeps running out of the bucket, you need to shorten the piece of pvc pipe. Let me know if you need any more detail.

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is one I made from what I had laying around. If you had to purchase the materials, it would cost about $20. Just hook it up to an outside spigot or a hose and you're done... I tip mine over and spray it out every couple of days or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the toad guard... important!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    These are great!! Thanks for going through the trouble of posting all the details! I'll start on mine tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by