Homemade waterer

Farmerboy16

Rebuilding my Farm
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Sparta, MI
I am looking for some ideas for waterers. I have those metal waterers, and some of them are a pain in the neck, and cost $$$! I live in Mi, and we get those cold winters, and I would like to find a cheap, efficient way of watering 20 pens of chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas, peafowl in one coop. Please post pictures of your watering system. Thanks.

Thanks! It looks like that it will work for me and the chickens, I am 22, have carpal tunnel on both wrist, so that will help me alot.
woot.gif

Here's one I copied from this site. Been using it for a few months now and it's working well so far. I can post more detailed pictures later if you're interested.

chickenz025.jpg

Quote:
I'm also looking for homemade waterer ideas, would love if you could post details on yours - it looks great!

thanks!

I'll take some more pictures and post again later. I'll include measurements of cuts too.

You'll need a five gallon bucket, a 5 gallon water bottle (I found mine at Walmart for $7 but not every Walmart carries them) and a short piece of 3" or 4" pvc pipe.

For the winter weather, I plan on fabricating some kind of enclosure that will house an incandescent lamp to keep the water from freezing. The waterer will sit on top of the enclosure.

More to come later...

waterer001.jpg

waterer002.jpg

waterer003.jpg

waterer005.jpg

waterer006.jpg

waterer007.jpg

waterer008.jpg

waterer010.jpg

Pretty simple. If the water keeps running out of the bucket, you need to shorten the piece of pvc pipe. Let me know if you need any more detail.

This is one I made from what I had laying around. If you had to purchase the materials, it would cost about $20. Just hook it up to an outside spigot or a hose and you're done... I tip mine over and spray it out every couple of days or so.
98066_1.jpg

98066_2.jpg

And the toad guard... important!
98066_4d.jpg

Last edited:
These are great!! Thanks for going through the trouble of posting all the details! I'll start on mine tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom