Homemade wine... Do you? What is your favorite?

I have roses from Jackson and Perkins that are highly fragrant. My wife keeps them cut to keep flowering and the blooms stink up the entire house!

Hybrid teas are not known for their fragrance; I think J&P has introduced one fragrant hybrid tea for this year! Try floribunda roses, which tend to give off a long lived fragrance. I have "Tropicana", which also is grown at the governor's mansion in Baton Rouge, LA. Also I have "Abe Lincoln" and "Lady Bird Johnson"- all fragrant and vigorous,which I purchased from J & P.

When you use honey instid of sugar, is it the same amount? Or do you use less of the honey. Sorry I'm not the best when it comes to this stuff. Someone may have said this and I missed it or its just common sence. I can't wait to try my own wine. I'm excited!!
bun.gif

I've been making mead since the 70's and it's a little more complicated than switching honey for sugar! Think of it this way: "Making mead is is like following the methods of brewing beer but using honey and sometimes adjuncts that go into a type of wine made with honey." There are dozens of dozens of variations on mead, it can be sweet or quite dry; still or sparkling, half honey wine half hard cider( called cyser);flavored with fruit mashes- I personally like red currant for a sweet-tart taste; or flavored with herbs and spices. Do your research...online or most libraries have access to that information and recipes.

thanks for the clarification !!!LOL
I meant whenever you use honey as a substitute in a recipe you generally use about half the amount , like for baking or for making jams.
Mead is a little more complicated , but oh the end result is WONDERFUL!!!!!

Mmmmm....mead....gosh I love that stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations for different varieties of roses. I have a spot that could use a bit of color, it would be nice if the plants could do double-duty....for looks and for wine, now that would be nice!
big_smile.png

Has anyone made wine from wineberries (they grow wild here) or red or black raspberries?

My concord grape wine I made last fall didn't make it. Got something called "flowers of wine". Darn -- it was a whole season's grapes gone -- 50 lbs. This fall I'm sticking with grape juice!

Back
Top Bottom