Homeopathic treatment for dog ear yeast infection?

For recurring yeast/fungal infections, it is helpful to adjust the diet. Many/most commercial dog foods have sugar/high carbohydrate content, which feeds the yeast. Find a diet to feed your dog that is higher protein/lower carb/no sugar.

THIS. Treat yeast from the inside. If your dog has that feet dog smell it's a yeasty dog. If you're already feeding a meat first dog food - Iams is not the cheap corn puff stuff, then perhaps you need to take it a step further and try eliminating SUGAR from the dogs diet - there are foods that are specifically formulated lower sugar or no added sugar.

Looking at the ingredients, they use sugar beet pulp in Iams Large Breed, and they also use brewers yeast(a protein supplement), so this makes the food thing pretty likely.

Last edited:
To New Egg.

I agree about what we feed our dogs. I buy prime mince once a week. Sure dry food has added vitamins so is ok. I use a mixture of the best dog roll, dog biscuits and fresh meat, but fresh meat must be best. They are ancestors of wolves. Paddy-Girl.

I'm torn on this. The no cat food for dogs recommendation - because of the higher protein content, and lower fiber content would be the solution to the protein problem of grocery store level dog foods and yeast. Cut it with cat food, yet I still question whether this would be a good idea. On a couple levels I'm pretty sure it's not, but on another it could work.

Entirely grain-free for a few months, minimum, is so helpful. Iams is not my choice of foods. There are much better choices that emphasize quality meats and animal fats over grain. Remember that items such as potato and sweet potato are usually added to grain-free foods but they are "not meat" either...not necessarily bad but with a fungal infection, you want to lean toward animal products mainly.

Hello, Thank you for the reminder bout the food connection to ear infection. Do you have any recommendations for Gluten free store bought dry food? I am staring to think that raw ground chicken with supplements is where I should go with this. Are there any carbs that do not cause yeast infections?My older female is always hungary if I do not give her oatmeal or the dry food on top of her cooked chicken and beef canned food( that is for her iron levels).

By the second round of treatments, I'd have a culture run to make sure the treatment would work. More expensive in the short run but MUCH cheaper and easier on everybody in the long run. Just because there is a yeast infection doesn't mean there isn't also bacteria, etc.

I do agree with the suggestions for probiotics. Unfortunately not all probiotics in the store have what is needed in the amount needed. As far as adding yogurt- for a labrador sized dog you'd need to give 2 cups yogurt with every meal to get the numbers needed.

Tea tree Oil? So dangerous if you have cats around. Potentially dangerous for dogs. Another one where it can be stronger or weaker than labeled. Very bad if the ear drum has been ruptured.

If you aren't sure about the integrity of the ear drum Zymox is one of the safer bets.

FYI- dogs and the current population of wolves have a common ancestor. Dogs are "cousins" not "offspring" of grey wolves. It makes a difference.
Some cancer risks, especially TCC, in dogs are lessened if fed fruits and vegetables several times a week.
As far as dogs not digesting raw carrots- LOL- neither do people! Yet we aren't considered carnivores.
Vets get much more than a weekend class in nutrition and it's not taught by a dog food company. Besides the actual Nutrition class, correct vs incorrect nutrition is brought up in almost every other class. Discussing a neurological problem? Don't forget to check diet. Reproduction? Check diet. Lactation? Check diet. Growth? Check diet? Rehab? Check diet. .......

I am currently dealing with a bad yeast infection in my fourteen year old Pug. She has a breakout on her chest and I use Apple Cider Vinegar mixed one part vinegar to three parts water and then I pat it with a cloth on the affected area.. The vinegar alone would sting, I suspect. I have Ma Otic salve I got from the vet to use in her ears. I use it for ten days, then switch to an ear wash just to keep the ears cleaned out. My dog is very ill with this but then she is an old dog now.

By Blue Pit bull TERRIER has been having same problems, but now she has given birth, and one ear has swelled shut. Can't get the vinegar/water in there. Even mixing iodine, for ear mites. Trying female yeast cream/antifungal. Started working then stopped. Brought her in the house, cause she was sitting/suffocating puppies. She still bleeding from puppies and the ear attacks are making hard for her to rest, clot, and heal. Cant afford vet yet, last month, fixed a male, and then one of the house Blues found some old rat poisoning. Had to beg for mercy from Vet, who allowed me to just pay for vitamin K1. Had brought my female, to vet, for same ear problem, 2 months, before breeding. Now it is back with renewed vigor and causing terrible suffering. Mon Cher and I are begging for help!

Zymox and most vet ear solutions cause deafness in dogs. Research before using it. My last besutiful fur baby had this happen to her. She became deaf due to her meds, if the vet had told me this was a possibility I wouldn't have given it to her. Also dogs are domesticated, have been for many many years, to say that they are solely carnivores is the same to say that humans are only carnivores. The first man hunted for meat, when it became scarce they grew food. To say that a domesticated dog, who has had its diet altered for years is only a carnivore because it came from undomesticated wolves is untrue. And veggies are good for everyone including your pet. Whole foods are the best avoiding corn, but then again with the roundup issue corn isn't good for anyone. Ever hear of celiac disease? Grains, wheat, etc and just because you dont have celiac disease, your still affected by grains yourself, feeding them to your dog is true a mistake. Just research your kibbles, they arent bad they keep their teeth clean, raw foods dont. Plus my labradoodle is 7 months old, she hasnt been around long enough to be a food allergy that caused her yeast infection. She had her first heat, she has now a uti and cranberry capsils will clear that up just as it does for me and my previous pup. Yeast in her ears is most likely from her boyfriend border/aussie who licked her down there and licked her ears.

Back
Top Bottom