Homeowner's insurance

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by ridgefire, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I am so mad right now. I got a notice from my insurance company today. They are dropping my coverage. They apparently have a problem with chicken coops. That was listed as a deficiency with my house and that the coop is missing siding. (sorry the out building as they have it listed) In the report they have pictures of my coop and the chickens in their run. Oh and I had garbage bags sitting by the house, ummm hello what am I supposed to do with the garbage? Its not like I have garbage pick up everyday.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    huh? That doesn't make any sense! They dropped you because you have chickens? I could understand them not wanting to cover them or making it an exemption from the coverage but to drop you? Do they think the chickens make it more likely that your house will catchon fire, be burglarized, be hit by hail, or have someone drive a car into it?? I would be asking questions...lots of questions...

3. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I called my insurance agent, she said its a liability thing.

4. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Quote:Lol no kidding. I mean what the heck, really?! I'd have quite a nice talk with them about that...

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Quote:That your chicken will get out and bite someone? You will get too much cholesterol eating fried eggs and bacon everyday! Sorry...I just don't get it...liability?

6. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    I think they're full of crap.

7. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I have agree they are full of crap. If they don't want my business there are more insurance companies out there that have no problem with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by