Homeschool families?

I've been giving this alot of thought lately myself. My son just turned 9, and he is starting to have behavior problems at school, which stem from boredom. He is not being challenged in his little country school, and I work nights, so could easily teach him during the day. A mom I know pulled her 2 girls out of the same school at the beginning of this school year, so I really need to talk to her. I know her girls still go to a school setting 2 days a week for a homeschooled class, but I need to get details from her.

eta: How do you all handle the high school diploma vs. GED thing? I was just reading on my state's site that homeschooled kids do not quality for a high school diploma! What?!?

Last edited:
Quote:
My paperwork is a breeze.

Mine too. Took me 5 minutes.

We are in our 1st year with a 3rd grader who requested to be a homeschooler.... how cool is that?
smile.png

Quote:
You will want to talk with homeschoolers in your state to find out how that is handled. In my state, the homeschool option we use is to register every year as our own private school and we therefore have the power to issue diplomas when we feel our kids have "graduated".

I have a 6 year old in the Kindergarden and a 14 year old in the 6th and 7th grade. We are studying with Seton Home Study. The Kindergardener is doing great. In about 2 hours, I can cancel out almost a week of work. The older kid is more difficult. She wants to be spoonfed. I am doing good to get her out of bed in the morning. Forget about expecting her to do much on her own. I can almost lose my religion sometimes. I can't seem to get through to her what a wonderful opportunity she has right before her eyes. She can proceed as fast as she wants to and get done with it, but she wants to breeze on through life as slow as a turtle. We are in our second year. I have other children that were all very unique. I have my oldest that almost wrote the book on 'go-getting.' I can't understand what is up with my 3rd child. She is a good kid and she makes good grades, when she finally takes the test. I just wish she would have some kind of ambition.
Then if I complain, people tell me it is me that has to make sure she does it. I can do that, but who will do the dishes, feed the chickens, tend the clothes, change diapers, etc...... I am there, and I will help, but I wish she would do her part and be responsible.

We do, this is our 2nd year. Right now I'm just hsing dd1 (who's in 2nd grade) and dd2 (who has special needs) goes to a developmental preK. But I think I'll be homeschooling her next year, too. I love homeschooling. We live in Indiana, one of the easiest states to hs in.

Socialization is not a problem at all. We're part of a fantastic Catholic homeschooling co-op that has classes every other week and lots of extracurriculars for the kids (like valentine's day parties). She's in 4H too, and she takes violin lessons.

Quote:
It's not uncommon to go through a phase like that as a teenager. I homeschooled my nephew when he was 16 and he was the same way. I had to set a schedule for him and if he didn't stick to the schedule, he lost privileges. I don't think it's at all bad to work her schedule around what suits her, such as a later start in the morning if she isn't a morning person. She'll feel the impact of more specific hours in a couple of years when she gets a job, if you're inclined to make her do so. The important thing is that she has to take care of her responsibilities before getting privileges.

My kids, even as young as they are, sometimes are self-starters and sometimes want to be spoonfed. We have times when we discuss the future and what kind of impact behaviors now can have down the road (as a discussion, not as part of getting onto them for not having done something). Then, when they want to be spoonfed, I simply raise my eyebrows and tell them it's their responsibility and once they take care of it, I make sure to give them some positive attention not directly related to that task. It may just be that your daughter desires some extra attention and this is how she can get it.

We have HS'd for 7 1/2 years and love it. You have more opportunity for character training and individual interests when they are at home. Our kids were at a social event with my husbands work where there were other kids their age. My DH coworkers commented on how well they behaved around adults and how self assured they were. I thought it was just proud momma syndrome. Don't worry about socialization. It will take care of itself. That is what siblings, cousins and neighbors are for.

Our oldest was our spoonfeeder. Gradually we gave the kids more tesposibility for their work and they have stepped up to the plate. Our middle child is the original self starter. When she finishes her stuff she takes over from me with her litte brother who is just over two years younger than her but dyslexic and needs help. She is 11. None of this happened over night and in fact when the kids were younger I dispaired of them ever doing their work on their own. We use a free online curriculum found at www. Amblesideonline.org. It is a Charlotte Mason style education and we have really enjoyed it. A few years ago the kids saw the planner I had developed to track their progress and wanted one of their own. I thought it was rediculous but made them their own the next year. The form has been refined a couple of times. It is not difficult to do. This years planner shows them what they have to do each day for any given day in the school year, including morning chores. They know when they get done they are free to do as they wish. It helps motivate them and also when we have to run errands on a school day (like appointments) they know which books to throw in a bag and bring along.

For those of you considering HS remember that you can do atleast as well as public school (PS) and you care deeply for your child so you are that much farther ahead than the PS teachers. There are tons of resources to help you in areas you are weak. We have used Math-U-See for math for many years and couldn't be happier. Math is my bane. When you HS dont try to replicate PS in your home. It doesn't work well. HS is more of a private tutor model where your kids can accomplish a days worth of school subjects in 2 hours or so leaving the rest of the day free for real life learning. You can absolutely do this. We have moved a lot in our HSing years and it has been so nice to have the flexibility as well as continuity of HS.

Last edited:
I am not the least bit worried about when the day comes that my local school board doesn't recognize my daughter's diploma. She will have graduated from an acredited school, that surpasses most schools in the US and I plan on having her graduate on stage, even though we have to take a train to Virginia from Louisiana.
She will be able to attend most of our universities here. If she graduated from Seton, makes a high enough ACT score and has some kind of funding, I can't see why she should have any difficulties in either continueing her education or obtaining a job.

Back
Top Bottom