Homeschool Moms and Dads -- Are you out there?

honeydoll

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Stark County, NE Ohio
I am a homeschool mom of three boys, bot currently only one homeschooled. I have an 12 (almost 13)yr old, 10, and 8. I love homeschooling. This is only my second year homeschooling. Just thought maybe we could connect and exchange advice, stories and different lesson ideas. Stuff like that. Anyone interested? Any ideas on lesson plans about the chickens we own?
thumbsup.gif

Hi, I consider myself a homeschooling mom, we do the Idaho Virtual Academy. We have three kids, a 14 year old ds, a 9 year old dd and a 5 year old dd. The ds went back to school this year as he wanted to play sports and missed his friends, now of course he is having second thoughts. 9 year old dd is at home with me. 5 year old dd is severly disabled and she is very happy in the special education preschool program. They are great with her and it gives me a much needed break for three hours a day. I love her with everything I have but I need the few hours. Plus it is when I school the 9 year old so it works out great.

If you search "homeschool" in the search engine you will find there quite a few families on here who homeschool.
smile.png

Last edited:
There are quite a few homeschoolers on here. My boys are 7 and 9 and we have been homeschooling our oldest since we pulled him out of private school partway through 1st grade. Our youngest went to preschool, but never grade school. We are eclectic on the unschooling side, but not true unschoolers. I am always on the lookout for new ideas and adventures we can have. Our most recent project is hatching chicks. With a few other homeschool friends, we put 24 eggs in an incubator yesterday and are looking forward to having some chicks hatch
fl.gif
. We are lucky to live in an area with lots and lots of other homeschoolers and many things to go and learn from.

I am homeschooling my 4 year old daughter in what I consider kindergarten, though we dont have to report to anyone or anything. But she is reading so I consider it that.
smile.png

I LOVE lapbooks, it is our favorite thing to do. We do them with her, and her 3 year old brother together. So far we have spent no money, I use my imagination and the internet and library for everything. Of course we have crayons, paper and that type of thing.

I was homeschooled, so it is pretty natural for me. I used "how to teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons." Now I am using Progressive Phonics for reading.

We dont have a 'math' curriculem persay, right now we are working on recognizing the rest of the numbers she doesnt know, and learning about patterns and stuff like that.

Math is the only subject I am hesitant about, I never was good at it. But we will let the kid schoose to go to school for the older grades if they want to. And DH loves math, so he will be able to focus on that.

I LOVE having the time home with them! We sent our daughter to preschool for about 6 weeks this fall, and while she loved it, it was all busy work to her. They were doing things like, "color the teddy bear on top blue".... Stuff that is easy for my 3 year old to do.

I knew then that she would be bored all through the elementary grades, and I diddnt feel comfortable moving her up.

Thanks for the responses! When I started homeschooling I didn't realize how many HS families there were. I was amazed at the number. It has become very popular, or maybe it always was and I was in the dark. It has been one of the best decisions I have made for my middle boy. My oldest and youngest are special needs. That is a whole story in and of itself. So far homeschooling has been a wonderful experience and I can't believe how well my son is doing.
wee.gif

I just started homeschooling my three oldest this year, 4, 7, and 8. We're using Ambleside Online and so far I'm really enjoying it, at least. It's been a bit of an adjustment for my oldest boys, who've been going to public school. My four-year old daughter is taking to it like a chicken to the range, and is probably going to catch up to her brothers soon (but don't tell them that). This was the best decision we could have made for my oldest son, who had issues of his own, and wasn't doing well in a classroom setting. I love having them home all day!

Back
Top Bottom