Homeschool Thread (Educator)

Parson's Wife :

We are using a 'new' homeschool method for my oldest, 6th grade. It's called k12 OLS. It's public school online, she likes, fairly well.
Today is the first parent/teacher conf. curious about this...lol

Anyone else use K12?

I looked into K12. We might have tried it if it were tuition free, like the public school. Some of the individual courses look great! Is your child liking the classes? We love Time4learning.com, online curriculum.​

Parson's Wife :

Here you go, here is one view of the computer room.

The wall items tend to change out as the year progresses...right now we are working with maps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/5925_photo-0538.jpg

Those maps look like ours
smile.png
Were they were from K12?​

Hello! Yes, they were K12 maps..thought they were great, our old ones were paper, and just about wore out! lol
K12 is free for the children in Arkansas. They send tons of supplies, and workbooks along with textbooks. You are simply required to keep internet service.
I know the San Antonia, TX area has online public school, where they are actually part of the classroom, I have a friend who was using that program.
She is enjoying her classes, she can move as quickly as she would like through them, she's also given the 'opt out' option. Which she's done a few times...

Parent/teacher conf. went great...didn't know what to expect with the K12 ...but they are kind, thoughtful, and very helpful.
Great ladies.

Trying to think if there were anymore questions that had been asked.....

My son is about to turn 10 and in the 5th grade this year. Last year he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Since then he has started special education to help him with his socially inappropriate behavior and I'm not impressed. They are only interested in trying to teach him how to act like everyone else. It makes me sad that they want to change him and fit him into their little box of what a child his age should be. He isn't like everyone else and never will be and that's just fine with me. I don't want him to go through the rest of school spending all of his energy on being socially appropriate instead of learning. He excels at the academic aspect of school. He is and has been a straight A student. He learned how to read with ease and has the reading level of a high school freshman. I keep thinking that public school is holding him back academically and the constant social pressure puts a lot of strain on him. I really feel like a program like K12 would be great for him but am having trouble convincing my husband. He is worried that our son won't have the opportunity to have friends. He's been in school for 6 years and has yet to make one friend. I think going to an Asperger support group would be a better opportunity to make a friend than public school.

I can't speak to K12 but we were in Connections Academy (which is similar) for 3 years before switching to traditional homeschooling. There were several families with similar situations as you, a child with Asperger's that a regular school was not helping. I think schools forget each child is different. Asperger children are commonly well ahead of their peers, academically. In Connections Academy there was a forum for just parents to ask questions. There are field trips. Here in South Carolina the field trips were set up by a parent volunteer. There were commonly 6+ field trips a month. It is an excellent way to socialize with kids their own age. Like I said, I can't speak to how K12 does things but Connections Academy was a great school for the things your husband worries about.

Just found this thread and wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am currently homeschooling my two sons, 11th grade and 2nd grade. I love having my kids with me. My oldest son went to public school through Christmas of 7th grade. I took him out and he's so much happier at home. He's motivated to learn and I feel he is learning a lot more at home. My youngest has never been to public school or daycare of any kind. Homeschooling is not always easy but it's always an adventure.

clap.gif

It has been years since I home-schooled (in the 80's when it was still very much taboo and we had to fight for every single thing) and to this day I'm an avid supporter of home based education.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom