Homeschoolers--Do You Know What Spare Time Is?

big_smile.png
We're doing CAVA California Virtual Academy. I have 1 3rd grade 2 1st grade. But my youngest has Down Syndrome, so he takes longer than the girls. Mine haven't learned the value of getting done quickly just yet. I also have a high schooler doing Kaplan, but we may switch him to reg public school. No self discipline,so he's struggling to catch up. I get alot of negative comments about homeschooling. I believe it is beneficial in so many ways.Once you get a schedule that works for your family, everything will settle into a suprisingly efficient routine. I wish you all the best. E-mail me if you'd like a little cheering on.
thumbsup.gif

Well, at first you can expect your life to revolve around it. Mine did.

Fast forward 7 years and homeschool is the last thing I ever think about. I mean I think about homeschooling in the fun ways, how much I love it, how smart my kids are, the next cool thing we'll be doing. But I never think anything negative anymore.

When I have a busy day I blow off school. Believe me, my kid won't miss anything. This year alone he's finished almost half a year of math, can speak Japanese, read 3 novels, and has written two awesome papers.

Homeschool is the only constant in my life!

Wanna know the secret...self promoted learning. You really need to find curriculum that fits your kid and that takes time.

I would STIIL homeschool, up until high school, even if the much wanted private prep school down in the Springs gave us a free ride scholarship.

Now I might consider it - I've been lusting over this school for my son and in fact, we ARE moving forward with the steps needed to secure that free ride presently...but not BEFORE high school.

I have too much I want to teach him in middle school and he's just asked for Russian language. No school offers Japanese and Russian as electives. Only MOM!
wink.png

I have been home schooling for 11 years. It takes most of my morning but not as much of my time. As the kids get older they are able to do most things on their own. Children will vary in how quickly they complete their assignments. One great thing is no homework in the evenings! I feel my kids are receiving a better education that fits their learning style. My oldest whom I home schooled through high school has successfully graduated from college with honors. I had my youngest tested at the public school last year and her score was in the top 3% in the nation. All my kids have trouble with ADD but we were able to overcome it with their diet and finding what works best for their learning style.

I have plenty of time to do what I want (which is usually get on BYC
tongue.png
) I start school at 8:00-10:00 and finish around 11:30-1:00. Then I do my chores and stuff (I have to let the chickens out on the morning obviously). Actually I might have too much free time because my mom says I'm on BYC too much lol.
tongue.png

If I had the money to send them to a private christian school I might. When I took them out of public school we looked at private schools, we choose homeschool. It had alot to due with money in our case. It would have been $4000.00 a piece to go to the school, so $8000.00 a yr. We might have been able to swing that but then add on books, lab fee's, activity fee's, lunches, and alot of other fee's that were listed along with mandatory fund raiser goals they had set for each child. In the end we found it better to homeschool. It is a choice that is hard to make, but am glad we did it this way. My son is 13 and in 8th grade. Next yr he will start a program called early college. He will go to high school at the community college and when he graduates he will have his diploma and his associates degree. Then he can transfer and go to any college he wants for only 2 yrs instead of 4.

hays off to all you homeschoolers! Part of me would love to do it, but I know myself too well. I would go nutso if the kids and I didn't have a life apart from each other. I homeschool during the summer months and make sure they dont lose ground over the summer and add in topics that I think are not covered during the school year.

Kuddoes to you who can do it.

Spare time is definitely something that comes up short here, but I am also homeschooling 5 children. That makes a big difference! When I was only homeschooling 2, life was much easier. So, I guess you need to ask yourself if you are ready to put "your" life on hold. In saying that I mean all the your time for your hobbies, crafting, shopping, ect... Then you need to weigh in on the benefits of homeschooling versus the benefits of public schooling. I don't have very much spare time, but I will tell you this. My kids are much more important than any spare time I could have. I know where they are, I know what they are doing, and I know who they hang out with. That piece of mind definitely outweighs me having spare time! I have also worked a deal out with my kids that if they will work hard for me Monday through Thursday, then they get Friday off. That helps me out with having time to pay bills, grocery shop, etc... If you do decide to homeschool your kids, I think you will be happy you did! It does take time, but so does the homework that you have to do with your kids in the evenings. If I had to make this choice again, I'd choose homeschooling! If you do decide to do it, you really won't be disappointed.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom