Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
Have to vent for a min. My dh, 8 year old daughter & i are living with family *sigh* & my mother will NOT get off my *** about sending our daughter to PS. She even says she'll pay for private school. It's pissing me off & she won't quit hounding my daughter about reading. My daughter can read, she just doesn't like to. My mom is obsessed with making sure she knows all the crap they learn in PS at this age. But if I wanted her taught like they do in PS, I'd be sending her there!! We basically unschool. Idk what to do. It's hard enough to have made the decision to HS in the first place. I am always second guessing myself. Of course I want my daughter to be successful or even ahead of where she should be but I don't want her creativity squashed like mine was in PS. My mom has suggested taking her to Kumon which is an after school math & reading program. I wouldn't mind Kumon so much since it's basically just a tutoring program & not all the time. Has anyone one had any experience with Kumon? Maybe it would get her off my back!! :(

Stuck between a rock and a hard place...

All I can suggest is that while it's a hard choice when you are living under someone else's roof you don't get to make all the calls and sometimes compromises have to be made... And as odd as it might sound if the money is there and you can't work it out between your mother and you, it might pay to find a family counselor to give an objective outside view and mediate the conversation between your two highly polarized opinions...

Now don't take that the wrong way, I'm 100% for parents schooling their children how they see fit regardless of how anyone else in the family feels about it, but on the other hand I'm also a firm believer that if you are living under someone else's roof you have to respect or at least compromise sometimes while you are living under their roof...

I'm homeschooled and I hate it

it's different for everyone, as parents we have to do what we think is best for the individual child at that time in their life. I have a 12y who begs to be homeschooled (because he can get a days worth of lessons done in a couple hours) but he is thriving in the small school in town, my 5y does not seem to handle the separation to well. and my 6y is an inbetweener that we keep an eye on constantly keep open lines with the teachers

This thread is for ADULTS... not kids.  Sorry.
He should be aloud if he wants, he is old enough that he can be considered an adult according to me and many other people. I'm not trying to be mean or anything but even if he wasn't considered an adult he should be aloud to say something on a thread.

Quote: I started the thread for PARENTS that HOME SCHOOL not for the kids. There is already a thread for the kids. It was NEVER intended for kids and a moderator insisted I make that clear.

This is what the mod requested I put in my first post to make it clear

Minors are NOT invited to post on this thread, this for their own internet safety and as per the policy of the owner of BYC.

Ok, I didn't mean for you to take that offensively I just think that he should be able to say something because he is old enough and I consider him as a adult or close to it so he should be able to read and say everything that everyone else has on here. He has siblings that are littler than him so can't that count?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom