Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
How cool is this?! I am new to BYC however not new to chickens or homeschooling. This is awesome to find this thread here. My son is now 11. I have been homeschooling forever....lol not really we are on our third year now. Some days it does seem like forever. Anyways it's nice to meet everyone!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome ChickADeeHatch!!!

Thanks for reposting this! I sometimes get so lost in The Crazy, that I forget how many great resources are available.
thumbsup.gif

Oh! It's fun to see a homeschooling thread on here!

Hello from Dallas, TX!

This is our 4th year homeschooling. Our two boys went to Montessori school through 2nd and 4th and while it was a perfect fit for one, it was super expensive. We got spoiled by the individualized, child-development-centered curriculum that inspired their natural curiousity. Local public school didn't work (we gave it 5 miserable weeks).

Homeschooling has been an adventure! They're now in 6th and 8th grade and we're considering all our options for high school.

Besides homeschooling and chickens, I enjoy reading, researching, cooking, and building up my permaculture garden!

Hello from Dallas, TX!

This is our 4th year homeschooling. Our two boys went to Montessori school through 2nd and 4th and while it was a perfect fit for one, it was super expensive. We got spoiled by the individualized, child-development-centered curriculum that inspired their natural curiousity. Local public school didn't work (we gave it 5 miserable weeks).

Homeschooling has been an adventure! They're now in 6th and 8th grade and we're considering all our options for high school.

Besides homeschooling and chickens, I enjoy reading, researching, cooking, and building up my permaculture garden!

Hi chicken curious.
frow.gif
Welcome!

WWHHAATT?? NOO, Now that I'm in my last months of homeschooling ever, I find this thread?? Can't believe it! I graduate my fourth one from high school this June! It's been almost 20 years... for those of you just starting, give yourself a retirement fund and put $ into it every month as though you're working for money because you really are working!
SO In light of me retiring soon, If anyone wants curriculum and is willing to pay shipping, p.m. me! I have Tapestry of Grace, Saxon Math, and various science books and reading books. Can't even begin to list 20 years...ask me and I can go look.
For those of you who have younger ones, Chicken math works great for real life examples and that dovetails really well into science like genetics, hatching, breeds, showing, etc. and of course then there is skills such as building and planning a coop! Don't be afraid to take that math lesson and bring it into the real world such as counting eggs, figuring out how much feed is eaten or needed to purchase for x number of chickens and if y hen goes broody....then how many board feet and what is the cost to keep the chicks??? LOL.
4-H is also a wonderful resource for homeschoolers. And as they get older, so is your local community college for both high school and college credits at the same time. Does wonders for maturity, organization, and challenging them to think better.
Wow, so glad to find you all!

WWHHAATT?? NOO, Now that I'm in my last months of homeschooling ever, I find this thread?? Can't believe it! I graduate my fourth one from high school this June! It's been almost 20 years... for those of you just starting, give yourself a retirement fund and put $ into it every month as though you're working for money because you really are working!
SO In light of me retiring soon, If anyone wants curriculum and is willing to pay shipping, p.m. me! I have Tapestry of Grace, Saxon Math, and various science books and reading books. Can't even begin to list 20 years...ask me and I can go look.
For those of you who have younger ones, Chicken math works great for real life examples and that dovetails really well into science like genetics, hatching, breeds, showing, etc. and of course then there is skills such as building and planning a coop! Don't be afraid to take that math lesson and bring it into the real world such as counting eggs, figuring out how much feed is eaten or needed to purchase for x number of chickens and if y hen goes broody....then how many board feet and what is the cost to keep the chicks??? LOL.
4-H is also a wonderful resource for homeschoolers. And as they get older, so is your local community college for both high school and college credits at the same time. Does wonders for maturity, organization, and challenging them to think better.
Wow, so glad to find you all!
PLEASE stick around to help us newbies out! I love to turn life into a learning situation.

Hello from Dallas, TX!

Welcome! We are a busy bunch!

Sorry I have not been on here much. My husband had both hips replaced since Aug and I had surgery in the middle. We are still playing catchup around the farm from that and the holidays. Then SPRING came early and we had a huge storm that took off the roof of one of my pens... chickens were running everywhere and we must have about 6 big trees down. Not an issue, we will get to them when we can. Now my son is working to go to Nationals for Singing through our church, district is done and state is next. I am learning a new instrument and trying to get the boys to join in. Our neighbors gave them a guitar, 2 ukeleles, they gave me an autoharp and a mini autoharp (I want the boys to work with till they get big enough to handle the reg size one).... but one autoharp is not enough LOL. They seem to be like chickens.... I now have 6. I will be selling a couple. I am just glad they don't breed and hatch. Life may never calm down but I will pop in here as I can.... Keep this going and SHARE what you love about home school "stuff" you use!

I am starting my boys on Math U See.... so as I get into it I will let you know how I like it. I plan to use saxon math but I don't have the stuff for the lower grades... mine all start at 4-5th grade. I also got Spelling Power... anybody using it? I have not had time to read it yet.

Sorry, Arielle and Roomonthebroom!Go to plan b or c or d or ....or just stop, grin, get everyone together and quit for the day to get out for a field trip. Sometimes when there are sooo many bumps and curves and *everyone* is grumpy, you just need to get the basics done, toss the rest, pack a lunch or snack and leave. Go to a historical site or call a friend to meet up with or go swimming in the middle of winter. It changes things! The educational world will not cave in snd your child will not fail the next big test.But that stress will lessen and you all will remember that day. Build the memories of homeschooling. Go make a smoke bomb for chemistry and blow it up- preferably outside! Lol. Not in! It takes awhile to clear the house if it goes off inside! Trust me on that one! Lol.
In early years go for learning to read well. Everything else hinges on that. If they can read, then they can begin to learn independently and do their homework independently. But spend the time teaching them in the early years. The minutes add up so fast into the years and soon they will not need you. Find another family to teach together. So one does science and the other does art or ?. It gives you a break and your kids get outside of themselves. Make it fun and worthwhile. My kids best friends came from the coops.
Hugs to you all!

Life may never calm down but I will pop in here as I can....

I am starting my boys on Math U See....

Your life has been EXTRA lately! I hope it at least smoothes out and both you and husband continue to heal! New instruments sound fun!

We love RightStart Math, but I have heard good things about Math U See.

We supplement our main curriculums with online resources (mostly free) to mixup/break up our learning:
- math with Khan Academy (I let them choose the lessons within their grade so they like to skip around on Khan)
- spelling/vocabulary with freerice.com's vocabulary b/c they help feed others with their progress AND they can challenge themselves to work toward or maintain a certain level of proficiency
- science with happyscientist.com

For vocab we also worked through critical thinking co's digital version of the word roots software( it's gamified learning of Latin and Greek word roots, prefixes, and suffixes that my boys loved in 4th and 6th grades) and their vocabulary virtuoso books.

Sorry, Arielle and Roomonthebroom!Go to plan b or c or d or ....or just stop, grin, get everyone together and quit for the day to get out for a field trip. Sometimes when there are sooo many bumps and curves and *everyone* is grumpy, you just need to get the basics done, toss the rest, pack a lunch or snack and leave. Go to a historical site or call a friend to meet up with or go swimming in the middle of winter. It changes things! The educational world will not cave in snd your child will not fail the next big test.But that stress will lessen and you all will remember that day. Build the memories of homeschooling. Go make a smoke bomb for chemistry and blow it up- preferably outside! Lol. Not in! It takes awhile to clear the house if it goes off inside! Trust me on that one! Lol.
In early years go for learning to read well. Everything else hinges on that. If they can read, then they can begin to learn independently and do their homework independently. But spend the time teaching them in the early years. The minutes add up so fast into the years and soon they will not need you. Find another family to teach together. So one does science and the other does art or ?. It gives you a break and your kids get outside of themselves. Make it fun and worthwhile. My kids best friends came from the coops.
Hugs to you all!

X2!
Great advice!

Back
Top Bottom