Homestead Hangout

Croft5Homestead

Chirping
Feb 15, 2021
Hi guys! This is a thread for literally anyone who wants to learn(like myself) I love asking (and answering) questions. I live on a homestead, and am always asking my friends for advice on gardening, fowl keeping, and even cooking. So I thought I would make a thread where we can talk about these things 24/7, share recipes, and homestead/ farm experiences. I know plenty of these exist , but honestly, I couldn’t resist! Here is a bit about myself:
We have chickens, ducks and turkeys(oh my!)
Rabbits,
And a garden. We are big family, and we would love to get a cow in a few years😁
So...let’s have fun!

Last edited:
This sounds fun! I love turkeys, and would love to get some soon. Same with rabbits! What breeds of chickens and ducks do you have?

I have chickens, ducks, and cows. Along with a garden, but it isn't doing that well lol.
We have SO many different chicken breeds, but some are: Barred rock, Wyandotte, and leghorns.
Ducks are Cayugas and 1 Rouen drake. We are getting some welsh harlequin soon.
Totally relate to the garden!!

We have SO many different chicken breeds, but some are: Barred rock, Wyandotte, and leghorns.
Ducks are Cayugas and 1 Rouen drake. We are getting some welsh harlequin soon.
Totally relate to the garden!!
Awesome! I have tons of different breeds too lol. I have a Swedish blue drake, two Pekin hens, a runner, and a buff duck!

I have two gardens and four chickens. Soon to get five more chicks!

I am working on ways to make my gardens more productive. Last year was THE BEST I ever had for potatoes and onions. I'm hoping this year to duplicate that and also to have enough tomatoes that I don't have to buy any to can in September.

One thing that made a difference, for sure, is the compost I made with my chicken poop! Wow, what a difference.

Whenever I have a meal that is entirely from my garden and chickens (eggs, I mean), I get a silly grin on my face.

Yes! Eating a meal that we grew is just satisfying. Compost is really awesome.
I haven’t canned tomatoes yet, but I have done green beans and apples.
Does anyone have raspberry bushes? I’m tryna figure out the best time to get the leaves for tea, any advice is much needed, this is my first time with them.

Back
Top Bottom