Homesteaders

Oh....my apologies, I was actually meaning to answer TytoAlbas' question ..guess I should have quoted their post instead of yours lol
wink.png

I don't have time to read all that.
tongue.png
Good lord it will run into my nap time.

I came home to find a "stray" cat in the yard. I just know it's a government psy.

Last edited:
That might be just about right. I don't want it for anything other than varmints. Personally I'd probably be quite happy with just a 22 but it would be a waste to get one and then discover it's no good for coyotes.

That was my exact train of thought when i got the B Mag and I have no regrets

Last edited:
during the dust bowl year there were some that came this way and did some homesteading here.. a young couple just married in these parts would need some sort of housing most of them settled for a dugout before the winter set in.. they dug half their house out with a shovel and the half above the ground was made of ponderosa pine or pinion pine.. water was scares and you had to haul it long ways from windmills .. so most often on the side of these dug outs where the water came off the roof,, they would make gutters that flowed in dug out cisterns .. you could grow pinto beans at that time because there was more rain in those years and turnips would grow .. and they would kill porcupines for meat the deer at that time were wiped out do to the homesteading.. rattle snakes were used for meat also .. in fact there was a book written about this country called .." No place for a lady" it takes about 100 acres to raise just one cow and it better be a tough one .. now there more elk than people but back then meat was hard to come by chickens or ducks were very important just to survive,, I think the government finally increased the acreage to a couple sections to give a feller at least some chance to make it.. there were big ranches and a feller if lucky could get a job doing something for them.. back then as the old saying goes every one knew whose check was good and whose husband was not.. and it still much like that even to day around here..

Well, I finally read all the posts and now I'm looking to converse. Yet it seems it has suddenly gone quite here. Everyone must be out picking and canning at this point, I guess.

Well I'm looking to work toward sustainable living. I am living alone yet I have family just up the hill and in town, so I will be looking to provide for them too, as much as I can reasonably. I have 9 acres that abut my family's trust land of about 50+ acres that I have already been told that I will be able to use for this purpose.

Currently I have 14 chickens, mixed breeds. 8 hens are just about ready to start laying, actually just got my first egg on Tuesday, but must have been laid on Sunday. I have 4 more hens that are several week younger, with their brother who will be culled due to a cross beak. I have a Giant Jersey Black rooster that has grown up with the 8 older hens and is being a good companion for tem from what I have observed so far.

I just caught a program on NPR yesterday about natural Weed Control. Goats. So It looks Like I that will be my next project for the sustainability and getting the land ready for a rotational livestock scheme I plan on using.

Thanks for all the info that you all have previously shared and all the info that you will share.

Fuzzy Moto.

I reckon spring and fall are quite time as folks are out either planting or harvesting. Winter here is for planning.

Me I'm taking advantage of Fruit tree and berry bush sales. Sticking them in different areas in hopes they survive and give me some fruit.

I watch a program on PBS, Victory garden I think or one of those. The man used Pigs to clear the forest. Not of course removing all the trees, but enough. I've considered the same thing here but I'm older and would need to put up fencing and then find someone to take the pigs to process. I think you need to be young to deal with hogs/pigs. The can be very big and very strong.

I'd hoped to keep some heritage breed. Something on the more rare side. Still they're a bit of work. At least the initial housing and supplies and all that.

Heck keeping just chickens I've evolved in my methods and housing. Not all systems work for all locals and types of people. I've dumped those plastic red bottomed waterers in favor of the black rubber tubs. Even in winter they're much easy for me to fill and clean.

I've tried the nipple five gallon buckets with heaters but chickens don't seem to get enough water out of them. They're okay for a back up, but still need to be cleaned. Sometimes all these new fangled devices must mean more work.

Well now don't be a stranger, Keep us posted of your progress and post lots of pictures.

Nice to meet you,

Rancher, can be a pain the butt, Hicks.
wink.png

Yep, here in Minnesota right now through September is not only harvesting time but also the best weather to be doing physical work like clearing brush, chopping wood, fixing fence now that the evenings are cooler. I still come in at night looking like I walked out of a shower but at least I'm not having a heat stroke :)

I'm with you hicks on the trees and bushes. I'm always scanning the clearance plant racks at stores at this time of year. Yesterday I picked up two huge thornless raspberries for $12. I will get them planted today and keep them well watered through the fall and should see plenty of fruit next year. I have about 8 other bushes that are growing nicely as well. I am still waiting for in the apple trees and such to go clearance to plant in my chicken runs

Soon small game season will open and I will be able to start thinning my rabbit population. I considered raising my own rabbits but then realized I already have a large population growing that I dont have to pay to feed!

Sweet corn and potatoes are about ready for harvest and then I am going to try and get a cover crop on my garden yet this fall to help amend the soil.
Tomatoes are just turning red so canning season is almost upon us

What do you guys grow in your gardens?

So far I've only harvested some garlic.

Next year no trip during the spring. Tomatoes were late as was the egg plant. I've found that Egg plants do best for me in pots situated in the drive near the house. The only drawback is the need to be watered nearly everyday. This year I planted three varieties. The yellow hasn't any fruit on it yet. These pics are today about 11 am.

Many veggies in pots look nice among the flowers.

What variety of garlic do you grow? I was just looking for a new kind to add to my garden. So far I've only done Music type. I found a nice Chesnok Red from a local guy that looks good.
I'm in zone 4A so I don't think soft necks would grow well here

Last edited:
What variety of garlic do you grow? I was just looking for a new kind to add to my garden. So far I've only done Music type. I found a nice Chesnok Red from a local guy that looks good.
I'm in zone 4A so I don't think soft necks would grow well here

I had read that there are only a few varieties, but as a rule I plant more than one kind. I'm not sure what variety they are as I started with bulbs from the farmers market. I'm a firm believer in not putting all my eggs in one basket.
wink.png

You can order your first bulbs and then save from your crop for the next year. Of course you'll know what variety they are, but if you plant them mixed and don't keep them separate you might lose track of what's what.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom