Homesteaders

Pics
I meant for eating. I was reading that buying canned beans was not good due to the salt and other stuff added. That I should buy dry beans even though it means soaking them over night.

Hubby and I use dried beans and lentils. You can also boil for an hour? I think instead of soaking over night. We like them over canned just because we get a bunch through WIC and you can only have so many jars of peanut butter, we have 10 crunchy and 10 creamy so far, and now we are stocking up on dried beans.
celebrate.gif
My back pantry is starting to look like a mini hoarding room with all my juice, peanut butter, beans, white rice, brown rice, and cereal. I think a run to the food bank is in store to make more room for my buckets of bread flour, a.p. flour and sugar; just so I don't have to go outside and around the apartment to the basement storage unit.

Hubby and I use dried beans and lentils. You can also boil for an hour? I think instead of soaking over night. We like them over canned just because we get a bunch through WIC and you can only have so many jars of peanut butter, we have 10 crunchy and 10 creamy so far, and now we are stocking up on dried beans.
celebrate.gif
My back pantry is starting to look like a mini hoarding room with all my juice, peanut butter, beans, white rice, brown rice, and cereal. I think a run to the food bank is in store to make more room for my buckets of bread flour, a.p. flour and sugar; just so I don't have to go outside and around the apartment to the basement storage unit.

I did not know you could get beans with WIC. We of course don't get wic but have family that does. I make jams and jellies so that works out okay but jams and jellies don't have to be eaten with peanut butter.

I did not know you could get beans with WIC. We of course don't get wic but have family that does. I make jams and jellies so that works out okay but jams and jellies don't have to be eaten with peanut butter.
For Washington you can exchange peanut butter with dried beans, I know in South Dakota you can get canned beans instead of peanut butter. Since it counts as a protein(I believe) just like you can exchange brown rice for whole grain bread.

I'm fairly new to homesteading. This is our first year with new cabin, and we are only there part time.
My only experience with beans have been green beans that we ate, dried and replanted, and some are saved for next years garden. My canning of peas and beans have been store bought and canned for healthy inexpensive meals for work, or school lunches. I just open the jar, heat it and put in thermos for lunches.
Hopefully next year they will be home grown beans ;-)

Hello everybody! I've been lurking in the shadows for a while and just finally caught up on the thread.

I'm an aspiring homesteader waiting patiently for my place in the country. But for now I'm in a small rental duplex with my gf and three young sons. Being as it's a rental in town all we have right now is a little garden in my "table beds". Started two years ago trying to grow all sorts of things but, the only stuff I can grow well so far is peppers and radishes. Oh and carrots that my boys were super excited about that were stolen. This year I'm going to build some new planters and focus on just a few veggies so maybe I'll do a little better. Also thinking about some dwarf fruit trees in big planters. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom