Homesteaders

Pics
I feel for you. I had hernia surgery last February. I scheduled it for a long weekend figuring I'd be back to work in no time (according to the surgeon). I was out 2 1/2 weeks, and still in pain when I went back. It was, by far, the worst pain I ever experienced. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't. At times, if I am doing a lot of physical labor in the yard, I get a soreness for a few days right where the surgical mesh was placed.

I'm up at my homestead this weekend. We have no running water, so we are truly roughing it. My chickens laid 7 eggs this morning! I'm getting ready to cook them now. I'm ready to be up here more often! I'm so ready for spring!
I recently had surgery (1/13/14) to repair 3 hernias. Tuesday I went back to work on "light duty" and was in so much pain I left in tears. My doctor said "go back to work, there's nothing wrong with you" the surgeon even REFUSED to see me! I finally went to ER and was told something may be wrong, go back to the surgeon... So yesterday they had to see me based on ER doc. One of the metal pieces came out of the mesh repair, and needs to be surgically removed/repaired. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. Words cannot describe how mad I am about being brushed off all stinking week because "there was NOTHING wrong with me" as they said...
This is why we are up at homestead, I'm supposed to be taking it easy, I just had to get out of my house for a while. Now I can lay on our couch at another house at least...

Listen to your body. Don't trust the doc and perhaps look for another who trust YOU. Clearly the first doc did not and I'd tell him so. Then talk to a lawyer at least to be aware of what if anything might be done.

If your doc is a part of a group I'd write a letter.

I'm old I've seen things. In one case the ER doc got fired for misdiagnosis on my son. Don't take no crap.

I've never sued anyone in my life, even though I had many opportunities. What I do want from all of this is some accountability. The doctor who insisted there is nothing wrong with me is enjoying their weekend, probably not giving me a second thought. I however am laying on the couch hoping I don't do any further damage before it gets fixed Tuesday.
I heard that in Masechusets the average wait time to see a doctor now is just over 70 days! Just the "change" we needed, right?

I've never sued anyone in my life, even though I had many opportunities. What I do want from all of this is some accountability. The doctor who insisted there is nothing wrong with me is enjoying their weekend, probably not giving me a second thought. I however am laying on the couch hoping I don't do any further damage before it gets fixed Tuesday.
I heard that in Masechusets the average wait time to see a doctor now is just over 70 days! Just the "change" we needed, right?
I also have had situations where I could have sued. Legally. BUT morally.... why? I'm able to work. I function fine and work around my bad discs. They have been bad for 22 years. You learn your limits and stick with them.
Healthcare is a mess and is going to get MUCH worse before it gets better

We didn't sure either, but it doesn't have to be for millions. Just enough to cover the cost of the extra visits might have been good. These days what with the price of medical care.

With my son it was two ER visits, lost work time and the extra doctor visit. All because of the doctors negligence. The hospital called to survey about the visit and when I explained what had happened the woman goes, "Oh my!". My wife works there so that's how I know he got fired. Turned out he had a drinking problem.

Do any of you guys have a hand pump well inside of your house?
My husband and I are talking about the need for a hand pump well, but he wants it outside, I want it inside...
Any ideas, or input?
Thanks!

Do any of you guys have a hand pump well inside of your house?
My husband and I are talking about the need for a hand pump well, but he wants it outside, I want it inside...
Any ideas, or input?
Thanks!
I don't...but do you really want to walk out in the cold to TRY to get water to flow?

The house 1/4 mile down the road was a homestead until about 15 years ago. it had a hand pump in the kitchen sink.

That's awesome! That's exactly where I want it, the kitchen sink. We are going to buy a wood cooking stove to heat food. I could warm up water if needed on the cook stove.
Right now we have NO running water in our house due to frozen pipes. With my health not being great right now, a fix will take a while. It's not a top priority right now. If we had a hand pump we at least would have some form of water...
My husband is redoing the addition in the home. It was a living room on ground level, then a step up to the rest of the house with a crawl space under it. The addition will be the kitchen, and the current kitchen will be a dining room. There is an "eating area" now, but its just part of the current living room. So this will make the current living room bigger by removing the table.
I'm looking forward to it being finished!
On a chicken note; my hens are tough! Still laying like champs even though its bitter cold out. I know I can't wait for spring, the chickens must be itching for warmer temperatures!

Have you googled such a thing? We have an old hand pump in the side yard, which I intend to use for a decoration. I'm not sure where if at all it was used on this house. I found it dumped in the woods. with a septic I'd be leery of using any well water. We do have a well but I'm not sure whether it'd be good for use. Before we bought the house it was switched to municipal water.

I wish our septic was further away from the house than it is.

I reckon if you were to have an indoor pump, you'd need a well dug right under the house or in the basement. I also reckon a well driller would be able to tell you how to do it. It sounds neat though.

Anyone here got a set up for rainwater saving, so they can water their garden?

We have a set up off the roof of our chicken coop for watering chickens in the summer.
It comes off the roof into a gutter, and stored in a rain barrel.

Back
Top Bottom