Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 10, 2013.

1. trsturself

trsturself Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    Sounds like those are the same as the willows they use for basket making. I've seen places that sell those in the states.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Yes, you can make baskets from them if you're talented enough. Where I lived in England there were fields full of them - it was quite the cottage industry.

3. RTFchickens

RTFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    USA
    I just got 2 New Zealand rabbits! They are very cute, and supposed to be good meat rabbits. I'm excited to breed and feed until old enough for the table.

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Let us know hoe it goes for you from time to time. I am trying to talk my better half into raising them here, too.

5. RTFchickens

May 12, 2013
    USA
    Moonshadows,
    I will keep you guys up to date. I'm excited to be one step closer to self sufficiency! Meat rabbits+chickens+fish should keep us fed without needing to buy meat from the store. If we can get a deer again, we should be set!
    [​IMG]"butterscotch" New Zealand rabbit

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Fish? Do you have a pond? (green with envy!!!...LOL) That is the one thing that was a "con" when we bought this place almost 20 years ago...no water except for the well. (There were too many "pros" to turn it down then.) I dream of a day when I can construct a small pond, maybe feed it with a windmill pump from a well. My brother has a 500,000 gallon lake on his property that he built, but he's got all the money. LOL

7. RTFchickens

May 12, 2013
    USA
    Nope, no pond (yet) but a river fed from a Great Lake within walking distance. Full of salmon, steelhead, and and tons of other fish. We are hoping to put a big pond in at some point. With 59+ acres, we have plenty of room for one ;-)

8. clankeyes

clankeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Ferndale , WA
    I bought a grinder 18years ago.. its worth the $ if you have a good brand. It pays for itself. My mixer is a Bosch and it is 18. years old . I can mix 10 pounds of dough that I grind and make 4 full loafs.

9. trsturself

trsturself Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    I just bought a grinder for our Juice Master. I have a shipment of grains coming in at the end of the month. Hoping it works good.

10. RTFchickens

May 12, 2013
    USA
    Does anyone have advise for what we should plant in a large wooded area in zone 4 or 5? We are getting asparagus, strawberries, and apple trees for now. We want to grow a large portion of our food this year, but being quite new to this, I'm not real sure what to plant...
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by