Homesteaders

Pics
DS has several raised beds ready and he planted red potatoes and 4 pepper plants some one gave us. We bought some seeds at Walmart, most of them trusted bystanders like Kentucky Pole bean and beets. We just could not wait to order some and now I can't decide between all the choices. We want to order the rest of the seeds but do not want to over buy. I found a place online that sells seeds for 99 cents. They are more like sample packs but I figure I rather have variety this year to try out some different things.DH also put in some rhubarb under the faucet in the front yard. We made inventory of what is on the property to see what is available to make 4 more raised beds, 3x12 ft for in the vegetable garden. It looks like pellet wood will be the most likely material. I found some ideas online late last night and send them by email to DS and see what he thinks but I think he will go for it. I anticipate pulling nails from pellets soon.

Pallet wood is good if it's what you have on hand but just be sure it's not treated, a lot of them are. You wouldn't want that in your vegetable garden! Also beware that they won't last but a couple years. That cheap would will deteriorate pretty fast. Again, not always a bad thing and they definitely serve a purpose, but being aware of the shortcomings is essential.

I got peas, dill, and parsley planted outside yesterday and tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and leeks started indoors. Everything outside is covered in plastic since we not even close to out of the frost window yet. I need to go buy more plastic to finish my row covers, and I still need to get a cutting blade for DH's angle cutter so he can cut some expanded metal sheets I got for trellises.

I'm jealous!! Planting already?? We still have several inches of ice/snow and temps in the teens so far today
barnie.gif
Anyway Raech, I'm thinking a pig is a pig is a pig. If the ordinances says no pigs, it's likely they won't bend for a 'pet' pig. Although I would think they are no more trouble than a large dog, but you know how officials can be.........
Well done on getting the baby out of the bedroom, everyone always seems to sleep better when they have their own space. Keep up the good work.
It has been really nice the last week, mid 40's to low 50's; hit 75 degrees if I want to trust my thermometer that read 60 degrees with snow coming down. We just did seeds for the carrots and started getting the beds ready for the tomato plants, but those won't come out for another month I think. I really hate to cover my tomato bushes when I plant so many, the winds wrap around my apartment so anything that isn't nailed down goes flying off to the next block, and if it keeps going it ends up on a super busy mini highway that runs through town. Little man isn't out of our room yet, but we are starting on the out of our bed, which he just started running a temp so it's back in for comfort nursing and snuggles. But I don't mind too much, TurdBird comes in too when he is sick. Keep telling Hubby we need a Cali King bed, I'm 5'8 and Hubby is 5'6, little man is sprawled across the bed between us, and TurdBird puts his head by my feet and his feet on my hip, with the cats crammed in there somewhere. There is no wiggle room on a queen bed when the whole family is all on it, luckily TurdBird doesn't get sick very often.

Hubby doesn't really want a pig, I think he just wants one because of the cute baby pictures he saw on Animal Planet, and Dr. Pol's show. But it was an idea, and I really hate to tell him no when there might be a chance.

Pallet wood is good if it's what you have on hand but just be sure it's not treated, a lot of them are. You wouldn't want that in your vegetable garden! Also beware that they won't last but a couple years. That cheap would will deteriorate pretty fast. Again, not always a bad thing and they definitely serve a purpose, but being aware of the shortcomings is essential.

I got peas, dill, and parsley planted outside yesterday and tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and leeks started indoors. Everything outside is covered in plastic since we not even close to out of the frost window yet. I need to go buy more plastic to finish my row covers, and I still need to get a cutting blade for DH's angle cutter so he can cut some expanded metal sheets I got for trellises.
Hmmm I was aware they would not last long but I am tight on funds right now. My gut instinct was also to stay away from the treated pellets but when I was looking online for ideas it said to be sure to use the treated pellets for a slight increase in durability. Like you I am also concerned about it leaching into the food source.

Hmmm I was aware they would not last long but I am tight on funds right now. My gut instinct was also to stay away from the treated pellets but when I was looking online for ideas it said to be sure to use the treated pellets for a slight increase in durability. Like you I am also concerned about it leaching into the food source.
You want treated if you are just doing garden beds with flowers because they'll last longer, but not if you are growing food items in it.

You can use heat treated pallets. But like trsturself said, a lot of the pallets are chemically treated so they last longer. But you can find heat treated ones, my hardest part was tearing them apart, but I am not very strong so good luck.

You can use heat treated pallets. But like trsturself said, a lot of the pallets are chemically treated so they last longer. But you can find heat treated ones, my hardest part was tearing them apart, but I am not very strong so good luck.
Thanks for all the good input. I have some strong boys so they can help. I figure everyday some.

Cedar wood makes the longest lasting raised beds. There are however quite a few materials that can be used. Some longer lasting than others. The height of the wall doesn't have to be high and anything that will keep the soil in will work,

th
th
th

th
th
th

Cedar wood makes the longest lasting raised beds. There are however quite a few materials that can be used. Some longer lasting than others. The height of the wall doesn't have to be high and anything that will keep the soil in will work,

th
th
th

th
th
th
Thank you all the visual ideas. DS is still on the road for work but I will show him this when he gets back in.

The cement blocks look the most do able for me. I could get it done quickly and wouldn't have to wait for DH to help. Do you think I would have to worry about soil leaking out? I see there is no mortar or anything between them. I guess it wouldn't run out unless it got super saturated, right? What is the purpose for the boards underneath?

The cement blocks look the most do able for me. I could get it done quickly and wouldn't have to wait for DH to help. Do you think I would have to worry about soil leaking out? I see there is no mortar or anything between them. I guess it wouldn't run out unless it got super saturated, right? What is the purpose for the boards underneath?

It's probably cardboard to act as weed block, not wood.

Back
Top Bottom